Link Belt on Jointer

I have a Jet 6" jointer -JJ6CSX, with a 1 hp motor. I'm converting it to

240 volt operation. My question is whether or not a Link Belt will improve performance. I have no complaints about it's performance - but if the Link Belt will make it run better, smoother, faster, or whatever, it would be worth the expense. I put one on my Craftsman TS, and it really seemed to help it (that and a new Freud blade!).

Has anyone done this? What were your results?

TIA - I really appreciate and value the help and advice I get here...

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

Pick one and only one. It will smooth it out. Worth the trouble and cost if you use the jointer much. And maybe if you don't.

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

Going to a link belt SHOULD improve smoothness IF the machine runs rough with the original belt \

John

Reply to
John Crea

Save your money. I've had excellent results with link belts, on machines I had complaints with.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I just updated my link belts review page. You might find some useful information there:

Cheers!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Link belts used to sold as a "emergency fan belt". Sure they will smooth out a machine initially, but so will running the new one until the set is out of the one that came with it. If you use the machine with any frequency, belt set will not be a problem.

Dave

TeamCasa

I have the same jointer - can't imagine it running smoother. It just purrs right now.. If you buy the link belt - let us know.

Reply to
mttt

Thanks Jim - the information was really good. I've printed it out, and added it to my reference file.

I couldn't help taking a look at your shop photos - it's really awesome!! Sorry to get off topic, but I had a question about your electrical system. I'd guess that your shop is in your garage. You probably added a sub-panel for power (?) The machines that are in the center area, your drill press, TS, etc., you appear to have cords going up to the ceiling. Are those cords that run from the individual machine and plug into a receptacle in the ceiling? Or, do you have the supply line coming out of the ceiling down to the machine?

Sounds like a dumb question, but I'm wiring my garage/shop now, and not all my tools have cords long enough to reach receptacles on the walls. I'd like to not have to run conduit on the floor and thought of doing some kind of drop down from the ceiling, but I can't figure out how.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich