Looking for a new Jointer

My 35 year old Craftsman has about had it and it takes up WAY too much room.

I have about settled on the Jet JJ-6CSX that I found locally, it is a remanufactured one for $399.00, but, I then started looking at Grizzly. I have NO grizzly tools today, my stationary tools are all Delta, Craftsman, Jet and Powermatic but they seem to have a pretty good following on this group.

When you look at the Grizzlys, the pricing seems to really jump out at me. They have an 8" G0586 with a 2 HP motor and a 4 blade cutter head on sale for $585.00, with shipping, it comes in around $738.25 a couple more hundred than I wanted to spend. They also have 3 real nice looking 6 inchers, the G0452 which seems pretty similar to the Jet except levers instead of hand wheels. The G1182ZHW which looks identical to the Jet for more money, about $550.00 delivered and then the G0604 which is a parallelogram table with a 4 knife cutter head for about $590.00 delivered.

Anyone have any experience with any of these models? Most of what I do, I make out of glued up panels, so I have never found the need for an 8" jointer and I rough mill before I surface so I don't try to edge or face joint boards over 4 foot normally. All of these seem like they will do the job. If so, the Jet looks real good at $399.00.

Thanks for any assistance.

Neil

Reply to
Neillarson

I have the Jet and I'm totally satisfied with it. The wheels are one of the features that attracted me to it.

I have no opinion about the Grizzly. I tend to think they are all foreign made and tend to be of comparable quality. It is a matter of quality control and the two Jet tools I have (BS and jointer) have good fit and finish. Neither has given me any problem.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I use the Yorkcraft 6" model. Have had it about a year and half -- no problems.

sounds like we have similiar work habits. Typically nothing over 4 foot and rough mill before I start.

Thom

Reply to
Thom

I second Lowell's comments on the Jet. I have mine on wheels and I can park it next to a wall as the fence mechanism doesn't stick way out the back. Art

Reply to
WoodButcher

I have had two different jointers. One was a 6" Sunhill Machinery model that worked well and was inexpensive. Haven't priced them recently though. I now have the G0586 and am quite pleased with it. Had to make a small adjustment in the outfeed height but otherwise, it's worked great through several hundred board feet of cherry and hard maple. Heavy as hell to assemble though so get some help. I didn't and nearly killed myself putting it together! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I have a few grizzly tools.Delta and powermatic are way better,Ive had a powermatic shaper for 6 years before anything broke and my powermatic table saw is 15years old,My grizzly 5hp table saw needed a new motor after 6mos. and isn't near as smooth as the powematic.I have also had problems with both of the power feeds from grizzly.I wouln't buy a grizzly !

Reply to
mike

I had the 6" Jet and sold it recently because I just wanted a machine I could change the blades quicker on. I get it hard enough to find shop time without spending hours setting the new blades, so I bought the 8" Grizzly

593 which is a 586 with a spiral cutter head. I was attracted to it because of price, and I was a bit concerned about what the quality would be like but I like it a lot. The Jet was fine, but the extra power, width & spiral cutter head are great..
Reply to
Chris

I have a 6" Ridged from HD about 2 yrs old. I got it for $250 on clearance the box was open but everything was still wrapped up. I had to fuss with it a little to get everything tuned in but it has been trouble free since I got it set up. YMMV

Reply to
AndrewV