DJ-20 or Grizzly G0490 8 inch jointer???

I can get a DJ-20 refurbished for $ 899 or the Shop Fox equivalent to the Grizzly G0490 8" jointer for basically the same price.

Does anyone have experience with both and can render an opinion as to which way to go? I was impressed with the Shop Fox, but have no experience. The DJ-20 has a long positive experience.

Reply to
eganders

I think that last sentence answers all you questions.

The DJ-20 has a history.

Most of the others do not.

eganders wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I have been a died in the wool delta fan for a long time. I have recently purchased the shop fox molder and the 15 inch planer. I am very happy with the quailty and workability of these machines. I have not seen any less quailty in the shop fox line so far. What would Norm do??? LOL

Reply to
Howard

Hey Eganders, Here is something to think about. First, I am also a Delta fan/owner (all of my big tools are Delta x5 stuff and I really enjoy working with my DJ20) but I have seen several demonstrations of Jet 8 inch jointers fitted with helical head cutters and now I have "cutter envy". Grizzly sells two different 8 inch jointers with their spiral cutterhead for a little more than $1,000 each. If their cutter performs as nice as the Jet this sounds like a real good deal. Check them out before you make the plunge. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Marc

I hear you on the spiral cutter head, but I have never really had an issue with the regular cutting heads. I cut 1/4 sawn whitel oak for the most part.

At any rate, I decided to go with the Shop Fox. I took a straight edge to both of them and they were both very flat. The fit and finish on both were excellent. The cast iron on both were about as identical as you can get. I would have to have a dial caliper and about an hour to list any real differences. The base and electricals were where the difference was. The DJ-20 had a pretty cheap on/off switch on the base cabinet. It was hard to press on or off. The Shop Fox had the switches on the pedestal and was a magnetic switch. It just appeared that there was more effort to make the Shop Fox a quality machine. It appeared that the Delta DJ-20 gave me the impression. "Here I am...I am the original and I don't have to try". Since the DJ-20 is made in China also, all you are buying is the name. Don't get me wrong...I am impressed with the Delta name, but I paid $900 for the Shop Fox "out the door" and it comes with a mobile base (I would have to buy one for the Delta), the Delta was refurbished (ya, I know it should not make a difference, but the Shop Fox is standard production with a 2yr warranty), the Shop Fox has a magnetic switch up on a pedestal in easy reach, the Shop Fox has a 4 blade cutter head (does that matter-who knows) and a 3 hp motor (does that matter- I don't know if I will EVER know).

Now to wire the area for 220 in prep and try to figure out how to get it down the basement without killing myself. I'll post my conclusions when I start using it.

Reply to
eganders