Plans for a "fancy" bicycle rack?

Anybody seen plans for a laminated or bent or carved (all three together) bicycle stand/rack? I'd like to build one such as a gift but would like to bypass the design part if there's a plan out there. Thanks

Bob G.

Reply to
Robert Galloway

I don't have plans, but I can describe one I built as a gift that worked out really nicely. I copied the functionality of one of these:

These racks lean against the wall and use no hardware to the wall for a secure setup. The one I built holds a single bike up in the air above a monitor on an office desk. The rack sits behind the desk.

Mine has only one vertical member, which is square. The legs on mine are nearly horizontal so that they would go beneath any structure on the back of the desk along the floor. They are angled at 5 degrees, and have a 5 degreee taper to them. They are attached at a 90 degree yaw to each other, so they yaw out from the wall by 45 degrees.

The arms that hold the bike up are also 90 degrees from each other, but angled at 45 degrees, with a 5 degree taper. I handsawed a compound-angled shallow notch into each arm that holds the bike.

The only challenge was cutting 45 degree bevels into the top and bottom of the central support, but once that's done, you can chop mortises into them and insert tenons from the legs and arms.

It's a very elegant looking piece, and somewhat reminds me of a cyclocross racer hoisting his bike over a barrier.

I didn't make any plans for it, as I don't for many of the things I build. I just figured out what the final measurements needed to be, and reverse-engineered it.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

post pictures in ABPW?