Aquarium Stands for 3, 10-gal Tanks

I'd like to build a stand for three 10-gallon fish aquariums for my classroom. Preferably, I'd like something that is strong enough to handle the weight from the water, have an area underneath for storage, and something that cannot be pulled over should a young child "lean" on it.

Are there any "plans" out there for building such?

Many thanks!

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

plans? build a ladder frame for the 2 sides out of 2x4s add more 2x4s for cross pieces. use 3/4" exterior plywood for shelves. use bolts to put it together, not nails or drywall screws.

paint it black.

Reply to
charlie

Building it out of 2x4s will work, but it will be pretty ugly and bulky for what it does. I'd suggest finding someone who can weld up a decent stand out of square structural tubing and expanded flattened mesh for shelving, with adjustable leveling feet. That type of project would take me about 2 hours and about $50 in materials to do (you prime and paint it), so it shouldn't be that expensive if you find the right person.

Reply to
Pete C.

Does the school have a metal shop?

Reply to
HeyBub

No, unfortunately, it doesn't and neither do I have access to one. I can _probably_ find a local welder to put something together but then I'd be getting into costs I'd rather not.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Okay, maybe one of the kid's dad owns a metal shop?

Or beg a donation from the local pet stores (they could put up a discrete sign to justify the gift...)?

A "Wanted" ad in Craigslist?

One more thing - anchor the sucker to the wall!

Reply to
HeyBub

Here is your opportunity to start a fascinating hobby! Come on over to sci.engr.joining.welding and ask the great folks who do this kind of stuff every day, would be my suggestion.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

2x4s, plywood and screws aren't free either you know. You may be able to get a local welder to build it at materials cost if it's for a suitably charitable use.
Reply to
Pete C.

Are you looking for 1 stand for all three tanks, or three stands, one for each tank?

If it's 1 stand, or you looking for 3 tall or 3 wide?

Important questions, don't you think?

Anyway, when I built the stand for my 55 gallon tank, I went to a couple of pet stores with my tape measure, a pad and a pencil and took measurements from the various wooden stands that they carried. When the clerk came over and asked if he could help, I simply said "I'm building a stand for the fish tank and supplies I'm going to buy from you when it's done." He was happy to let me continue taking the measurements.

The stand I chose turned out to be nothing more than a weekend project and it's been holding various tanks for well over 20 years.

It looks sort of like this, but I made it shorter so the kids could see the fish when they were young (the kids, not the fish) and I stained it to match my decor. The 2 large rectangles are doors with spring loaded hinges.

DAGS and you'll find lots of sites like...

DerbyDad03

My buddy with a metal shop built me a nice strong stand out of steel box beams, its on casters for easy movement. best thing i did

Reply to
bob haller

"The Ranger" wrote

You want a table with a lower shelf. Can you bolt it to the wall? If so, you have the stability needed. A simple 90 degree angle bracket to the base and wall will do this.

If you want 30G water total on one table with 3 tanks, you will need a center pole at front and back or the wood will bend, based on standard sizes of tanks.

1 inch thick plywood for the top, cut 14-24 inches 'deep' depending on your wants for display area before the tanks. (cut to 24 inches if you have the space and set to 36-40inch tall and you do not need to bolt to the wall). A standard 8ft long will work for this or you can tighten for most tanks to 6ft.

6 posts of 2x4 (can get away with 1x2 for center support set but creates problem with cross-pieces). May want to split this every 2 feet if you want 8ft long top so need 2 sets of center posts. Corner-center-center-Corner.

Now the harder part. I personally would use 90 degree metal angle brackets to secure the lower shelf and legs to each other and prevent 'wobble' but I bet you want to cut a top stabilizing set that fits between each 'leg' at the top and perhaps sister the legs at the bottom for the bottom shelf. You need to be sure the kids can't pull it over.

To secure it, look at your standard coffee table. See how it has a wood part cut to fit between the legs? It's not there just for looks. You will pretty much build the top then then legs then flip it on the backside (legs up) and measure carefully and cut to fit pieces that fit between along the legs and nail or angle bracket them in. Flip it back to standing position and nail a shorter bit of wood to the legs that starts from bottom up to how high you want the second shelf underneath to be, then cut the plywood so it leaves room for the legs and just rests on them.

I hope this helps.

Reply to
cshenk

The hard part is not allowing a child to climb onto it. Do not put a shelf underneath, but a cabinet is okay. Make the stand as low as practically possible to lower the center of gravity and let all know that touching the tank and/or stand is an infraction. It should be easy and cheap enough to build one from 2x4's.

Reply to
Phisherman

An enclosed cabinet would look better (IMO) and probably be more stable if built correctly.

The beauty of the one I built is that I didn't have to rip a single piece of wood. I didn't have a table saw at the time, so I planned it all around standard 1 by sizes.

The two sides are 1 x 12's, the top and bottom are 1 x 4's, mitered to form a rectangle, the front and rear face frames are 1 x 2's and the panels and doors are 1 x 6's. The only sawdust I made was from simple crosscuts and routing of bullnoses.

With the top and bottom rectangles doweled together at the miters and then glued and screwed to the 1 x 12s and the face frames, and the face frames glued and screwed to the 1 x 12's, there's no way for this unit to rack or wobble.

Like I said, it's similar to this, but shorter, and really not much more than a weekend project.

DerbyDad03

dicko

Done that already for multiple pieces in the classroom. I ain't proud when it comes to donations and freecycling. ;)

I've yet to try this; thanks for the idea.

Without a doubt, living in the shake-and-bake state has learned me that I anchor everything and _then_ worry about some student pounding on the tanks.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Very! 2 long by 2 wide but I also thought 3 long by 1 wide, attaching it to the wall and using it as a divide for the reading area and remaining classroom.

Coo-elle. Thanks!

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

[snip]

"Honey! Ch'oo got som' 'splainin' t' do!"

My current hobbies are equipment-heavy already. I cannot imagine having to explain why I was enhancing my garage experience further with another round of equipment financing. ;)

I'll keep looking for a welder that'll donate the time and effort if I provide the materials.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Thanks!

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

It's easier than you think; "no" worked the charm this last year quite nicely. It was the single child that kept coming into the classroom from another area and pounding on the tank that was my Achilles Heel.

Why? I can store food, equipment, and other items away without having them walk off.

That's what I've implemented and continuing to count on.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

It did and it is appreciated.