self built carport?

I'm interested in build a carport as practice for building two porches. The home owner states that the carport is to be about 22' wide and 26' long. Big enough for a Toyota Rav4 and a Chevy Express

2500 van.

I understand putting posts in the ground to support the structure at the corners. Because of the lengths of the respective sides, do I also needs posts in the middle of each side to support 2"x8" lumber? That would make eight posts in all of 4"x4" pressure treated lumber. If I do add a post in the middle of each side, how do I join (or do I) the joists at the center post?

I plan to make a simple gable with 1"x4" purloins for corrugated roofing. All the lumber where possible should be pressure treated.

There will be no electricity or other grid services in this carport. Just a place to put a car out of the weather.

Other than my massive inexperience with this, what else should I consider and research?

TIA

Mike

Reply to
Mike

In most places, any permanent structure requires a building permit.

In many places, local colleges provide classes in house-building methods (both masonry and wood.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Though hardly rocket science, not quite as simple as just putting up a few posts. Be sure you understand the concept of triangulation.

Simple example here

philo

Great resource. Thank you.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Hope your project goes well.

I have no garage or car port here.

Have to deal with snow and ice in the winter.

Reply to
philo

A important question.......

does it snow heavily where you are? how about hurricanes and or tornadoes?

building this may make you responsible for any damages to vehicles under it.

some friends had both of their vehicles totaled when heavy snow collapsed their steel carport.

over build it for the bad day

Reply to
bob haller

Usually when a permanent structure is built, plans need to be submitted to the town for approval and permits need to be issued. Since you have no ide a what to do, I would suggest that you hire an architect to draw your plans for the town. You can build from the plans as the items that you asked ab out will be specified on the plans.

John Grabowski http://www. MrElectrician.TV

Reply to
John G

I'd start with 6X6 instead of 4X4

Reply to
clare

Or simply buy a set of plans - lots available for reasonable price from many sources.

Reply to
clare

I live in Wisconsin and there is plenty of snow and ice.

I finally figured out that the only way to deal with clearing the windshield is to simply go out, start the car and turn on the defroster full blast.

Then do the shoveling and by the time I'm done, the windows are all clear.

Now that I'm retired nothing has got to be done in a hurry.

Reply to
philo

One of my beter moves was to get a house with a garage. Never knew how good it was to go to the car in the winter and not have to scrape the ice off the windows and get the groceries out of the car when it was raining. This is in NC where we don't have that much snow and ice either.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On 04/29/2015 08:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: X

overkill

a /single/ 4x4 can support several tons

Reply to
philo

Yes it can, but a good gust of wind off the side can snap a 4x4 quite easily. The 6X6 is significantly stronger The end to end rigidity isn't hard - you can triangulate, but the wind loading is higher in the crosswize direction due to roof area, and you can't triangulate as well and still have opening for entry/egress.

The only carports I've ever seen with 4X4 posts were fastened to the side of a building or had more structure than just posts. (like a "cube" shed at one end.. They also have a well cross-braced roof framework -

Reply to
clare

There were some sketchy carports in San Antonio, TX. Then they had one of those freak snowfalls and the all fell down. I haven't been following the thread but is the OP designing for snow?

Reply to
rbowman

I always say it's best to err on the side of caution.

Also as mentioned below snow could be a factor.

that said, it looks like the OP with the extension of ".cx" on his post...is in Christmas Island.

Reply to
philo

Bwahahahahahhhaaaaaaaaa! That carport wouldn't last a year where I live.

Reply to
Mayhem

Mike,

If you're putting posts in the ground, you would be building something more like a pole barn. Around here our local building department has plans for free and does not require a building permit for them. Since the wood contacts the soil they are not considered permanent structures (eventually the posts will rot, even if pressure treated).

Normally, a carport would begin with a concrete slab, then the structure would be built on top of the slad. The slab would be typically be a monolithic pour with deepened footings on the perimeter to support the posts/walls. However, in areas with deep frost lines, it may be easier to pour separate footings first, then pour the slab later.

In the simplest of terms, you will need a post base at the bottom of each post. This ties the post to the slab/foundation and elevates the post to prevent moisture from wicking up.

Then you'll need a column cap at the top of each post. This secures the beam to the post, as well as giving you a way to tie two beam segments over a single post.

You'll also need rafter ties at each rafter/truss to tie the roof to the beams.

Remember, an open carport can have a lot of wind pressure blowing from underneath. You don't want the roof to blow off in strong winds, so everything will need to be tied together, from the foundation all the way up to the roof.

I did not take the time to calculate any loads to determine what beam sizes you'll need.

Prefabricated roof trusses would probably be cheapest and easiest for a structure of that size.

You'll also need to brace the structure, typically with diagonal braces or solid plywood at the corners, to prevent the structure from racking.

In most areas, if you are not building the structure for your own use, you will need to be licensed and insured as a contractor. In other words, if the structure falls and damages your own cars, that's your problem. If you build a structure for someone else and it collapses, you could be responsible for the damage and injuries.

You might compare the costs of building a garage instead of a carport. In some ways it will be easier to build, and it would be much more useful than a carport (storage, weather protection, workshop, etc.).

Most of all, study, study, study before you start anything!

Good luck,

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Depending on the season it wouldn't last 6 weeks.

Reply to
clare

How about for a "plow wind" or microburst? Don't want it to end up in the next county.

Reply to
clare

The url that was posted

shows bracing parallel to the length, but none across the width. It shows the same thing in 7 sketches. Makes me doublt the whole url.

Unless I missed it, doesn't say how deep the posts should go either. Depth is probably more important than concrete.

Reply to
micky