Typical Carport Size?

What would be the typical size for a single width carport? A double width carport?

TIA

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright
12'-0" x 22'-0" is a reasonable minimum. TB
Reply to
tbasc

I agree with that also. I have 2 bays, each 12 X 20, and they work OK for a PT Cruiser and a Blazer. 22 would be better for longer cars, and 14 wide if you have a car with long doors. 6 foot wide car+two doors of 4 foot opening each.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Don't build it as small as the tract developers in this area, they build enclosed garages that are 20' x 10', outside dimensions ---- you have to get out the car and push it in, or you have to stay in the car once you have driven it in, that is if your car is small enough to get in the garage.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

On Sun 29 May 2005 12:19:34a, Wayne Boatwright wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thanks, folks! I was thinking along the same lines, but felt it best to confirm it.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Who cares what a typical size is? If you are planning a carport, make it big enough for the cars you own or are ever likely to own. Take some chalk, make marks on pavement directly under the ends of the bumpers, directly under the ends of the opened doors, and then move the car and measure the marks. Add at least a foot, preferably 2 for fudge factor, and there is your size, for that bay. Off the top of my head, I'd say 22'x10' minimum, 24'x12' preferable. Don't forget 3rd dimension, especially if there is a hump in the driveway approach to the carport. Needs to be tall enough to clear the antennas and whatever you have mounted on top. If resale is a concern, make it big enough for an SUV or normal pickup. (Forget about the tall-boy pickups or RVs- those need barns.)

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Check with your Municipality to see what their bylaw requirements are for constructing a carport. Des

Reply to
Des Perado

On Sun 29 May 2005 03:58:52p, ameijers wrote in alt.home.repair:

Obviously one wants the cars to fit. All points well taken. In the past I've only had attached garages which were always much larger than the cars required. I was just interested in a consensus.

Thanks!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 29 May 2005 05:43:16p, Des Perado wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thanks! Good thought, but I won't be constructing it myself. Our contractor will do all the checking. He was asking what size we want, but didn't want to offer his own opinion about size. Go figure.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

There are many factors that go into carport design. So many, that a smart man will avoid making suggestions. But, that smart man should also be able to ask some questions to arrive at a final design. Particularly if he is a contractor, and is trying to sell you a job. I would be wary of someone who wouldn't even suggest options to you. That would indicate that they have a "your problem, all I did was what you told me to do" attitude.

Considerations:

What way is the sun oriented? How will the sun shine on the carport at different times of the day. A carport might have to be much bigger than the car to keep it in the shade all day. The overhanging portions will have to be positioned to provide shade at particular times of the day. A standard carport space at an apartment project is about nine feet wide by 18 feet deep. But with them strung together, it shades a car more than if it were just one nine by eighteen cover.

Are there trees or structures that will provide additional shade or support? Will the carport be free standing, or attatched? In some jurisdictions, the permit process and inspections required to build an "attatched" carport are minimal, whereas a freestanding one has more red tape. But a freestanding carport that is attatched to a building with a ten foot piece of flimsy metal qualifies as an "attatched" carport, and will sail through inspection. Then the metal band is removed after signoff. The same freestanding carport without the attatching band requires an engineer to sign off on the plans.

How many cars are going to be parked under it?

Are they small cars or big cars?

Is height a consideration, like parking a boat under it occasionally? Or a RV?

How much space do you want between cars if it is a multiple space carport?

Do you have snow load in the winter?

What type of support poles are you going to use? Posts, or two T-shaped configurations?

How much space do you want to allow for driving in so you don't come too close to the poles?

Do you want vertical side wings to block low sun angles?

It ain't rocket surgery, but it isn't all that complicated, either.

Steve, who was a steel erection contractor, State of Nevada, for nine years. And that included carport installation and repair.

Reply to
SteveB