anchoring: carport

Hi,

I have an attached carport that is built by the previous owner. It has a metal roof. One side rest on the roof, about two feet from the edge of the roof. The resting is of course a very bad thing to have, since the area under the carport never see the sun. Overall, the thing is still in a good condition, and I would like to keep it.

I'm thinking if it is a good idea to add anchoring support to the entire structure on the side of that roof support and then sawing off the portion back by about 2 feet, so that the structure rests on the anchoring supports, away from the roof.

Is that a good idea? If so, how do I go about adding the extra support. The ground is already cemented.

thanks.

James.

Reply to
James Lee

Sorry, forgot to add that the anchors are for 2 or 3 4x4 posts on the house side to provide support.

james

Reply to
James Lee

James, Your description of the carport structure lacks enough detail to make a suggestion impossible.

The goal appears to be removing the metal carport roof from the house roof. That's a Good Thing, since any movement of the carport roof risks damage to the shingles.

Some questions to ask and answer before proposing a solution: Will changing the present arrangement change the way rain runs off the house roof? Is that a problem that can be solved? Is there a frame that needs to be changed to keep the roof in one piece? What shape members are in the frame?

These and perhaps other questions should be solved before work begins.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Baker

Thanks for answering my post. Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

The carport has three 4x4 posts on the outer side, but the inner side rests on the house roof at three points, about 2-3 feet from the edge of the house roof. The house roof is medium cedar shake and the carport roof is metal (galvanized zinc). The carport roof is sloped away from the house, so rain runs off to the outer side. I'll be putting up a new roof for the house sometime next year. Except for the slope angles, it looks something like this (== is the carport roof):

/^\ / \ / \= The goal appears to be removing the metal carport roof from the house

I want to move the carport roof away from the house roof, so I need to support the inside of the carport roof with new 4x4 posts. To make the least movement and changes, I want to anchor new posts to support the carport roof (no change in height and slope), but cutting back the roof so that it no longer rests or covers the house roof. There will be a gap between the edge of the inner side of the carport roof and the edge of the house roof as a result of this.

Rain on the house roof will run off the house roof to the gutters which are already there (though needs some repairs). Rain on the carport roof will run away from the house to the other side. So, nothing needs to be changed here.

No, I reckon there isn't much I need to deal with the roof, except maybe make sure it is still water-tight. The three resting points have 8x8 wooden blocks on the house roof.

In particular, I want to know what kind of anchoring system I can use for the 4x4 posts. The ground is already cemented, so I need to drill the anchors in.

Thanks once again.

James.

Reply to
James Lee

Look at the Simpson Strong Tie web site for various metal attachments. They have post bases and post to beam connections. There are epoxies and metal fasteners once you choose a connection clip.

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker