Max span for carport roof

I am considering erecting a new wood frame free-standing carport. I would like it to be approx 5 metres wide with no centre support. Could someone advise me as to the feasibility of doing this with such a wide span and what size roof supports I should use.

The roof will be sheeted by single skin plastic coated steel -

thanks.

Reply to
AH

on the site above. I used 9"x3" timbers.

Reply to
Grunff

Isn't it dark?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

=============== A free standing carport of that size might take off in a breeze so it will need to be well anchored to the ground.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Both north and south walls have full width windows, so it's never dark in the daytime. At night, it's lit by a large number of fluorescent tubes.

Does get pretty hot in the summer though.

Reply to
Grunff

I would get sight of a chart of joist sizing as the centres between joists also come into the equation. Bearing mind that although there is no live load such as people walking over it, the roof can experience high load stress in high buffeting winds using rollaclad would be much stronger than plastic and would cost more. Why not contact the makes of the plastic and metal clading. whey will advise.

MikeS

Reply to
MikeS

Right. Ours is the double-walled polycarbonate with open ends but there was a slight but noticeable decrease in light level - which gets worse when the algae build up. That's a signal for Spouse to go up with his pressure washer. He loves the chance to play. I really don't think I'd like a solid roof - but it's a personal thing. I didn't want a car port at all, I prefer to see the sky from the back door.

Oh, our's isn't too bad. But, as I said, it's open t the ends so there's a good airflow.

Thanks,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks for the replies.

The overall size will be 6 metres long x 5 metres wide. Sheeted roof and two sides. I was planning to use Metpost bolt-down post anchors to secure 4" x 4" posts onto concrete. Total number of posts 4 each side. Not sure if the posts will be up to the job though. Does this sound OK?

Thanks again, AlH

Reply to
AH

There's a carport just down the road, on a windy corner, put up about 10 years ago, in corrugated plastic, mounted on just four scaffold poles. I fully expected at some time to see that carport roof flying across the parish, but it hasn't. The only thing that I can see different is that the man put a border around the roof, planks about 10" deep. Perhaps that border stops the wind from actually getting at the roof.

Reply to
Tony Williams