How accurate is plastic miter box?

I bought a medium quality ($18) plastic hand miter box at HD (there were cheaper wood and plastic ones and a more expensive metal one).

I want to use it to cut 45 degree miters for ceiling molding.

How does the accuracy and finish of hand cut miters compare with the results from a reasonable quality electric miter box?

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

Unless finances are a real issue, I would return the miter box and buy the Delta $79 electric miter saw, Lowes #21314, model #MS250. Hand miter boxes are OK, but moldings and such can wiggle around during cutting unless you have a really firm grip on them. If this is your first time cutting molding with one, set up the video camera, because it will be fun to watch later. You can buy a saw, use it, and then if you have no further need for it, then sell it on a yard sale to recover a lot of your investment. It might even end up cheaper than renting one, as you get to keep it as long as you want, and use it at your convenience.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Done right, they are perfect. Takes a little practice. Use a good sharp saw, hold the molding securely, mark accurately. Let the saw do the work, don't force it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You should get good results if you hold the work firmly, or use some of those spring-loaded clamps. Al electric will give you more flexibility in case your walls aren't 90 degrees, and you need to cut a 43.5 degree miter, e.g.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

With a hand miterbox you won't be able to trim the molding if its just a little too long. All your cuts will have to be exact.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Depends on who is using it and how good their saw is. Des

Reply to
Des Perado

We have a bargain electric miter and use it all the time and love it. The accuracy is always in the operator, not in the saw.

I also suggest you return it and get the electic one.

Reply to
JimL

Having just done crown molding in my living room with a plastic mitter box(I think too bought at HD), buy something of better quality, or rent one when you need one. The molding was jumping around, the sawing action wasn't smooth, and just sucked. I tossed it after I was done. Oh, just an FYI,I was using foam molding too.

Get a real mitter box, you won't kick yourself everytime you see a projects f'd up results after doing the work.

later,

tom @

The Real Tom