Laser guide for Miter Box

I'm looking to purchase a new sliding miter box and noticed that many of the models did not have a laser line guide as an option. Can you purchase one aftermarket and install it on any miter box? Or, do I need to look for a model that comes with one?

Reply to
x071907

You can purchase them on the aftermarket but the only ones I've actually seen were at Harbor Freight. The HF unit is around $50 per side of the blade - maybe a little less. Seems awful steep to me, just for a laser line to guide a cut. If you search the internet you may find other options out there. My thoughts are that if you really want a laser line then you probably should just buy a saw equipped with one. I would ask you though, why you feel you need one. It's really not hard at all to cut with complete precision, without a laser line.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

This has been discussed before. Some think the laser thing is overrated and not as accurate as bringing the blade down to the mark on the wood.

Others think the add on lasers are not as good as the built in and not as accurate. Personally, I like gadgets, but passed on it when I bought my saw. I do know that when I see the teeth of the blade next to the line on the wood, it will cut there 100% foolproof. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I did an article on these a year or so ago for AW. I used 3 of them for several days. In the end I did find one to be much more accurate than the other two, but I didn't think any of them were very useful. If you're doing stuff where being off by a 1/16 or 1/8 is not an issue they're good, but if you need any more accuracy than that I don't think any of them cut it. I love gadgets, but I prefer gadgets that provide some benefit and IMO these didn't. For me anyway.

Reply to
Folklore

Here's a review of the Laserkerf - aftermarket laser guide for miter saws.

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set

- GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw

- Triton Powered Respirator

- Veritas Power Tool Guide

- Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo

- Band Saw Handbook

SawEyes

Yes, you can purchase laser guides to retro fit an existing saw. I have the LaserKerf and can recommend it.

However they are of limited usefulness, perhaps not worth the cost for most users. On a miter saw the only use I find for them is in transfering angles from a board to the saw. One just lines up the laser line parallel with the mark on the board and lock down the saw. I used the laserkerf on my panel saw where it is difficult to see the blade to line up the cutmark.

mike

Reply to
Mike

I just ordered the Hitachi C10FSH 10" sliding compound miter saw not more than 15 minutes ago. It has a built in laser guide.

Reply to
D Smith

I have the dual lasers on my PC miter saw and just love them. After a bit of adjustment I have them set to "cut the laser". Sure it is mostly a neat toy, but it actually *is* nice when you are just wanting to shave a board square. The laser tells you exactly what will be cut off.

It is also nice if you just make a single mark on the board instead of a full line across.

Like I say, mostly a toy but then again this is mostly a hobby for me anyway....the more toys the better! Jim

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:qkzfc.9392$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Reply to
Jim