Spec or plans for stable doors?

A friend has asked me to make a pair of stable doors approximately 2.4M high by 1.5M wide each (one full height and the other side half/half height) . I've made a few shed doors before but I'd like to make sure this one is constructed of the proper sized materials. My initial plans are to use redwood framing 120mm x 30mm then clad them using 15mm (finished thickness) shiplap or T&G - what do you think - would that be strong enough?

Or can anybody point me to a site dealing with this sort of thing - perhaps a set of plans or guidelines.

Thanks, Neil

Reply to
Ex-tiscali

What kind of construction style are you thinking of? Fully framed or ledged & braced? Fully framed and braced would be a good choice for a wider door. 120*30mm sounds (just) adequate for the stiles, the rails should be more like double that width e.g 225*30mm. For preference on a tall and wide door, if costs allow, go up to 175*50mm for stiles and braces and whatever wide board is available for the rails. Is the building construction/frame up to carrying heavier doors?

Reply to
dom

I'd use 20mm for the panel and make sure the top edge has a metal wrap over protective anti-chew cover. Horses can be accidentally devastating to doors

Reply to
cynic

You want a finished thickness of 45mm I guess as that's a standard external door and I would fully frame. What material are you thinking of redwood has a tendency to warp at that size and personally I would recommended hhemlock (just check its nor poisonous to horses!) also if your going for a half and half opening as per a traditional stable dont forget to extend the door height to take account of the rebate.

JD

Reply to
JD

They are going to be wider than they are high. I'd make the frames full width and put the match-board on the half tenoned rails.

If you make them up as one door and cut the sides through after fitting. It might save some effort getting them parallel. Be bloody heavy though. I suppose you could always put the match-board and cross braces on afterwards. (But before you make the cut.) Doesn't seem to be a problem here though:

would have made the bottom rails a lot wider but I'm not in the business. Try cross posting to a home building site and a woodwork site.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer