Looking for plans for timber workshop

Hi Folks,

I'm planning putting up a new workshop. I have taken down an old and derelict nissan hut (steel frame with corrugated iron sheeting. The whole thing was a wreck - twisted and buckled, so the option to renovate was a non starter.

The old size was 9M x 4.8M and sat on a concrete base/floor plinth, so I intend to build a completely new timber shed on the same concrete base. I'm not a professional builder but have a fair bit of experience in smaller shed building (garden shed size) and reckon I should be able to do this myself. My main concern is that I get the design and materials correct, both for pricing and for structural integrity. Hopefully some of you more knowledgeable folk can confirm or advise my plans.

This is what I plan:

Overall size - 9M x 4.8M x (2.4M at the eaves) with a pitched apex roof.

Framing made from 100mm x 50mm at 600mm centres . (does this need to be pressure treated?) I'm thinking of building the walls in sections (3M x 2.8M) and bolting them together, and rawl-plugging them to the concrete floor.

Roof trusses - I really don't know what size (?mm X ?mm) material to use for these, and to what design - for bracing I'm reckoning on two diagonal braces centred on the horizontal joist, going up at 45 degrees - any advice welcome.

Roofing - I'm torn between using timber sarking and felt tiles, or timber purlins and coated metal profile sheeting - again any advice welcome.

Wall cladding - most likely 19mm shiplap or T&G boarding. - I guess this does need to be pressure treated?

I will have double opening doors, but that part doesn't concern me so much. Also a few windows - again not a concern at this stage.

As I mentioned earlier my main concern is that it is structurally strong enough - am I under/over specifying for the timber frame sizing etc.

I have searched and searched the web for example plans but have not come up with anything useful, but if somebody has a link to a page(s) that will help I'd be most grearful. As ever price is important :-) but I'm a realist and know it won't be cheap. I guess I could get quite a bit of the materials straight from the saw mill and keep the cost down a bit that way.

Any and all advice most welcome,

Neil

Reply to
Old Caledonia

The US army publishes useful manuals which may contain what you are looking for. In particular this one:

3 gives the dimensions for framing and roof construction.

Reply to
Steve Firth