New Yankee Workshop Deluxe Router Station Plans

Does anyone have the plans to the New Yankee Workshop Deluxe Router Station?

Reply to
Kirk

JES

I don't...yet.....but if you have one to spare, I'll take one!

Reply to
Robatoy

Norm does

Reply to
A.M. Wood

Kirk, I gues you can tell by the replies so far that most folks think you ought to buy them. Otherwise, you're stealling. I agree.

There are a lot of folks that post political messages to this group that expect th> Does anyone have the plans to the New Yankee Workshop Deluxe Router Station?

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Norm no more owns the rights to those drawings than The Rolling Stones own the rights to Satisfaction.

Reply to
Robatoy

I could see someone asking a question like this but then follow it up with some questions like "How detailed are the plans?" "Are all materials and dimensions well specified?" "Are all the hardware fully specified and sources listed?" Depending on how experienced, or how adventurous, one is those kinds of issues could be very important, i.e., successful completion of the project vs. a pile of parts that need dusting. On the other hand if someone is out to simply steal the plans that is not acceptable.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Stealing is a completely different thing. It's copyright infringement that you are referring to. If someone were to pass around copies of the plans that would be copyright infringement, not theft, because the copyright owner isn't being deprived of any material thing. [S]He has been granted a monopoly on the right to copy the material in question.

And it wouldn't be right to infringe upon that.

However, the elements of the plans that are not copyrightable could, in theory, be assembled for posting. The plans could also be substantially changed and then posted. One could also detail one's construction of the object of those plans and that might constitute a fair-use release of information from those plans. That's because the created work is one of one's own experience using those plans, which has a different goal from a howto on the construction of the object. It is a derivative work, however, and unless it is more than a little (what is it... there's a percentage number associated with this I can't remember?) different it may be infringing. I don't believe that the materials lists are copyrightable....

But I am not a lawyer, nor have I looked into case law relevant to plans, so take that information for what its worth (hint: I didn't charge you for it.)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I think it comes down to how the material is transferred. If I buy the plans from Norm for $25, use them and build the cabinet, then sell the originals to Kirk for $12 that is OK. Or give them to him for free. But if I copy them and sell/give them to Kirk, that is not.

The Rolling Stones DO own the rights to Satisfaction. Nobody else can sing it, that would be a sacriledge.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

These are all true. I was trying to illustrate what infringement is and is not, but was only concerning myself with stuff beyond literal copying. If you copied the article and used the copy to protect the original as an archive, you would be obliged to destroy the copy or include it with the original if you were to sell it.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

If you bother to dig deep enough, think you will find that you purchased a license to use the plans to build a single unit for personal use from NYW or other similar sellers of plans or intellectual property.

This is the same arrangement made by software companies and naval architects when the sell you software or a set of boat plans.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On one of the Golden Throats albums by Rhino they present Mae West singing it.

Yummy.

Reply to
DL

So youre telling me if I want to build 4 units of the jewerly chest that I have to purchase 4 drawings? WRONG. There is nothing on any of his drawings limiting it to how many I can build. I have several of his drawings and nothing is on there expect it cannot be reproduced or copied.

Reply to
none

If you have to dig for it it probably cannot trump fair-use right of first sale. In fact, unless you are signing a contract, you'd have a very weak case if you tried to assert rights beyond what you are given by copyright law.

Naval architects use contracts and signatures. Software companies on the other hand, are trying, trying, and trying still again (with mixed results... it's all up in the air when you have a jury trial and large corps SLAPPing their customers) to get legal recognition for the shrink wrap license.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

"Norm no more owns the rights to those drawings than The Rolling Stones

own the rights to Satisfaction. "

WIthout a copy of Norm's agreement with the show's producers/owners we can only assume what he does and does not own.

However this is about posession, not ownership and it does seem reasonable to assume that Norm has a copy.

Reply to
A.M. Wood

While for $10 or so, you can buy the plans, just viewing that show should give you enough information to build a router table on your own. That way, you can make whatever customizations you want. The hardware (including the "improved" switch) is all available from Rockler.

It's essentially a sheet of birch plywood with dados, assembled into a cabinet, with assorted drawers and bit storage. I watched the show a couple times, took the ideas I liked and then built my own.

~Mark.

Reply to
Woody