New Yankee Workshop

By any bizarre chance did anyone else tape the New Yankee Workshop espisode on July 17(?) about the Table Saw station? I swore up and down I was going to save that episode, and, of course, my 4 year old learned the VERY NEXT WEEK how to get into the menu system of our satelite tv and taped right over it... argh... Anyway, if by some incredible luck on one of you taped or tivo'd it and are willing to work out a way for me to get a copy from you, I'd sure appreciate it.

I'm sure I could biuld it without a tape or plans, it's only there where a number of little things on the tape I was really interested in keeping.

Thanks in advance,

Dell

Reply to
Dell Moore

Lawrence L'Hote

You're not asking about the version with the outfeed table with releasable castors are you? If that's what you're looking for, then I have it on my PVR. hard drive.

Reply to
Upscale

You do realize that what you are asking is probably illegal. Copyright infringement and all that rot.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Is it even a crime anymore?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Well he DID record it for his personal use, which is legal. Its just that his copy was destroyed. I think this is a case where the law is a little sketchy. It probably is technically illegal, but I don't think WGBH would sue anyone who let their friends borrow their tapes.

-Jonathan Ward

Reply to
Jonathan Ward

I think it's ok as long as there is no money exchanged

Reply to
Richard Clements

Copies are for "personal use only". That doesn't mean that you can give your personal copy to someone else. But you are right. This would be a very trivial infraction in today's world and would almost certainly not be prosecuted. I was just making a point.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Technically, I think that would still be a violation of copyright. Giving a copy away is no longer personal use. If you buy a copy of a computer program and give a copy to your friend, that is definitely a violation. Same thing.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

I am by no means a lawyer. But I watch a lot of it on TV. :-)

So here's my takes on it:

For software, you can buy software and use it, give it away, sell it, whatever, as long as you giver/seller uninstall it from your computer and no longer retain any copies of said materials. You can, however, keep any data files that were created.

For entertainment products (TV, music, DVDs, etc), it's a little different. You can record anything off of TV, make backup copies of music CDs, VHS, DVDs for personal use only. If you no longer want the item, you can give (not sell) it to anyone for their personal use as long as you are not keeping a copy for yourself.

One odd thing, though.

I have a side business of transferring home movies/videos to DVD. I spoke to a copyright attorney. I was told that a customer can legally hire me to transfer most any copyrighted material from video tape to DVD for their personal use. For instance, to make a DVD backup copy of a VHS movie that they bought. I am good legally because I wa only hired in the capacity of a transfer service and the original VHS was legally bought by the customer and the DVD copy was for that customer's personal use.

It's a crazy world. Somebody oughta sell tickets. Heck, I'd buy one.

codepath

Reply to
codepath

"codepath" wrote in news:FCiSc.285941$XM6.39371@attbi_s53:

Not exactly accurate. Most media, computer software being the exception, is subject to the first sale doctrine. Basically it says that you can resell that which you have purchased, provided you do not keep a copy. Used book, record, video game etc stores could not exist otherwise.

More complete info can be found here

Secret Squirrel