Penofin durability

Hi guys. I'm curious about how long (in terms of years) Penofin retains it's finish on hardwoods, both outdoors and indoors. I know the stuff is pretty breathable, so I am concerned about that leaving the wood open to more torture from mother nature. Is the UV protection just a bunch of hype?

Woodchuck Bill

Outdoor is always the toughest for any finish due to rain and sun. Outdoors, I've seen Penofin stand up very well for up to five years, sometimes only three. It depends on the exact conditions. As far as "breathable", wood does not breath so that statement has no meaning. The UV protection is not bad. The biggest thing Penofin has going for it is that it is the best looking, in my opinion, oil finish for outdoor use. It does not have an orange cast like some other brands.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron

I used it on a screen/storm door I made out of quarter sawn white oak a few years ago. The door faces due South so it's about the harshest spot it could be all year round. I used 2 coats when new and added a coat after the first year because I could see some fading on the outside relative to the inside. It's been 2 years since then and I'll probably add a coat this year. I liked the results and would use it again. As I recall, there are more than one type. I used the higher end version in a silver can with blue decoration.

Art Learmonth

Woodchuck Bill wrote:

Reply to
Art

"Baron" wrote in news:9bb4e$409d033f$cf672f73$ snipped-for-privacy@allthenewsgroups.com:

Of course.

Not literally, of course. I was just quoting the term on the Penofin web site. "Penofin allows your exotic hardwood to breathe!"

The UV protection is not bad. The biggest thing Penofin has going for

Yes, it is great looking. And I know what you mean about the orange cast.

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

pan out. I tried it on cedar decking, ipe benches and table. The finish looked wonderful for about 6 months and then went away. I have had good luck with it on a cedar shingle covered wall and it seems to hold up pretty well on vertical surfaces. I did build an ipe work table for a friend, the table is inside and the marine oil finish is holding up quite nicely, the only problem is that it will still rub off on clothing a number of months after completion.

Ed Angell

Reply to
Ed Angell

The rubbing off is something new to me. Could it be that it never cured for some reason or that too much was applied for a wood like ipe?

Reply to
Baron