How long to worry about my sweat solder joints?

Hi all. I just installed some new copper water lines in my basement. Everything seems to be great with no leaks. Is there any length of time I should be checking the joints periodically for? Or, can I assume all will be fine if I see no leaks now?

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
kevharper

With today's lead free solder and fluxes, I have experienced leaks develop up to 3 days after pressurizing the system. I think that some of the flux burned as the solder liquefied and created a route for the water to push out the flux and create a leaker.

Reply to
EXT

Check three times a day for a year.

On the other hand, I could be teasing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He is teasing. Twice a day in plenty.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I know what you are going through! If you paid some nitwit to do it, you wouldn't worry at all, but since you did it...

I have never had one leak that didn't leak immediately. Try to relax.

Reply to
Toller

I have also seen leaks develop after a couple days. I have seen joints that were missed when soldiered and hold. One job leaks were popping up for about three months. But this kind of stuff is not that common, most leaks show up right away. Another thing you can do is get a small stick and tap the joints, don't beat the crap out of it. Also if the pipes are in contact with any metal that can cause electrolyses so wrap the pipe with ten-mill tape were metal is. We just had a leak were a drywall screw was besides a pipe, the pipe was installed 3 years ago. Most the piping we do we pump up to 160 PSI that will find a leak.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Thanks for the tip about the foreign metals. I have some hangars I'm using buy they're all copper plated.

Thanks again all. I'll look at it in a few days and then forget about it..

Kevin

Reply to
kevharper

FACT: Solder takes 15 to 20 years to set and completely harden. Since you are obviously not a plumber, you got a lot to worry about.....

CONSIDER THIS: Worry is good for your mental health. Being a professional in the Mental Health industry, I advise you to continue to worry every second of every day for the rest of your life, or until you come to my office for help. I'll be happy to see you for a measly $230 per hour and might even give you a prescription for some good psychiatric drugs.

As your new doctor, I advise you to continue to worry. Particularly today and tonight. See if you can become so stressed that you have a panic attack and end up in the hospital emergency room. Then call me in the morning for an appointment. (I'll try to get you in my schedule this week).

Just remember, those pipes are going to burst. I repeat those pipes are going to burst. Those pipes are going to burst....... Those pipes are GOING to BURST......

I think I hear water dripping, hurry, run to the basement... THOSE PIPES ARE GOING TO BURST.... HURRY ..... RUN !!!!! I am picturing a 1/2 inch copper pipe swelled up to FOUR FEET in diameter, right next to one of your crappy sweat joints, and it's gonna blow in a few seconds....... H U R R Y ! ! ! !

Dr. Floyd Maddock - psychiatrist

1-308-555-1590
Reply to
Dr.FloydMaddock

Sigh. I can't even tease someone when you're around. You're no fun.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

how much would be damaged if it leaked? in a unfinished basement with a concrete floor and drain no biggie.

most leaks are self sealing.... thats the green scunge at joints the water leaks slow and sediment clogs the leak.

iuf its a high value area buy a water alarm......

frankly I would forget about it, theres always stuff breaking in a home

Reply to
hallerb