how to level a long chalkline?

I'm cutting off the bottom 20" of my t1-11 panel siding to replace it and want to cut it off straight. The bottom edges of the siding are rotten, so I can't just measure up from those 20" as a guide. So I bought a chalkline but I now realize, I don't know how I can make sure it's level. The length will be about 27'.

How can I level this? Or is there a better way to do this?

thx!

Reply to
ben

you could take a bubble level and draw some short lines. Make several of these along the entire length (like a dashed line). Then use any straight edge to extend the dashes to the full 27' so the full line is parallel to all of them. You might be able to use the top edge of the panel as a vertical guide..

Reply to
iwdplz

I would measure down from the soffit about every 6 feet. You need to pull a lot of tension to keep the say out of a line 27' long, plan on several snaps.

Reply to
DanG

Use a water level . It is easy to use and is available at any tool supply store.

Reply to
Herb Eneva

Don't know if this helps but kids bought me a laser Straightline. Laser light puts out a straight line and the small unit has leveling bubbles. Don't think they are expensive.

Reply to
Frank

With a water level.

If the line needs to be 27' long, then get about 30' - 35' of clear vinyl tubing, and an assistant. Fill the tubing with water (stick one end in a bucket of water and suck on it til you get a mouthful), then let a little bit run out. You want a few inches of air space at each end. Make a pencil mark at one side of the shed where you want the cut line to start. Hold one end of the tube against the shed, and adjust it until the water level lines up with the pencil mark. Have your assistant take the pencil and the other end of the tube to the other side of the shed. Double-check to make sure the water level at your end is still aligned with the pencil mark, and readjust as needed. When the water level is stable, have the assistant mark the water level at that side of the shed. Pull a chalk line across the two marks, and make it tight -- it's going to sag some over 27 feet -- then snap it. Done.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Measure down the same distance from the fascia or top of siding (it might not be level but will look level compared to other lines of the house). Tack the chalkline at that measured point. Check with bubble level to see how the line lays. Snap.

Reply to
norminn

Use a rotating laser like ceiling hangers use.

Reply to
Bob M.

Yes and can be made up (and/or lengthened) by yourself using a hose pipe and two pieces of clear hose. Tint the water with food colouring if you wish. The techie modern way of course is to use a laser-level; a tool which may very useful later on inside and outside a building!

Reply to
stan

For 27' feet? You won't even be close at the end.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

Water levels are a great tool and is the only way I know of to level around a corner but need some care.

  1. The entire line must be in the same condition, i.e., all in sun or all in shade.
  2. There can be no air bubbles in the line.

Personally, I would use a laser for the OP's use. They are not expensive and will be used many times if the OP does much carpentry over the years.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

A laser level.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

Utter nonsense.

If you fill it the way I described, there won't be.

Phooey. Even the "cheap" ones are an order of magnitude more expensive than 35 feet of vinyl tubing, and they're MUCH less accurate. With a steady hand and a sharp eye -- and a sharp pencil -- it's easy to get +/- 1/32" with a water level. Ever look at the specs on the consumer-grade laser levels they sell at home centers? Typical is +/- 1/4" at 25 or 30 feet; I saw one at Sears a few years ago labelled as "accurate within 1/2%". That doesn't sound too bad until you do the math: that's an error of an INCH AND A HALF at 25 feet. To get the kind of accuracy with a laser level that can be easily achieved with a water level, you need to go beyond consumer-grade units to professional gear costing many hundreds of dollars.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Not very accurate, and probably not visible outdoors....

Reply to
Doug Miller

See my response to Harry K regarding laser levels...

Reply to
Doug Miller

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 01:16:58 -0700 (PDT), against all advice, something compelled ben , to say:

Steve Daniels

I have a small 'line level' that simply hooks into the center of the chalk line. With one end firmly attached, the other end of the line can be raised or lowered incrementally until level. Only takes minutes, seems perfectly accurate and IIRC it cost about $5 or so at local lumber yard, hardware store or Ace, maybe. First time I saw one being used was a siding installation crew. Ought to work for you.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Unless they've improved the Straightline product line recently, they are not much help.

The bubble is so much smaller than the space between the 2 lines that you have to eyeball it to choose your own center. Over 27' any eyeballing of a crappy bubble level just isn't going to be accurate.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

e sure

The trick with a line level is to level the 2 end points over a long distance, then remove the level and pull the chalkline taut between the 2 points before snapping.

Over 27' feet, the level is going to bow the line downward significantly, so the only 2 level points along the line will be at the very ends.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It might work if you use a 6' level and 6" increments.

Reply to
DerbyDad03