how to level a long chalkline?

As DanG mentioned, you could measure from a consistent height on the building. A story pole is in order:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I stand corrected. It was "inspired" by Aviation technology and not made from actual Aviation instruments. Thanks for the correction.

Reply to
Oren

Ok I'll spell it out for you...You take the 6 foot level , get the bubble between the 2 lines and mark it with a pensil..Slide the level down to the edg of your line and repeat the process 4 times ..DONE..Cut the rotting T111 off...Gesh...Why make a project of something as simple as that..It will be close enough for the eye...He is only cutting off rotting wood , not laying out a foundation....

Reply to
benick

Hey, cut it with a butter knife, I don't care. Sounds like plumb and level are terms not in your vocabulary.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Measure with a micrometer Mark with chalk Cut with an ax

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think I would measure down from the soffit at each end and pop a chalk line. Then measure a couple places in the middle as a sanity check. "Level" is not as important as being the same as the roof line, That will be the visual reference.

Reply to
gfretwell

m...

Exactly! My roof line on one side looks great. Just don't try to level anything to it. New gutters had to be installed with drain on "wrong" end (for me) due to that.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

Use a water level to mark as many reference marks as necessary and connect the marks with a straightedge.

Reply to
George

and hammer to fit.

Reply to
Doug Miller

replying to ben, Popeye81$ wrote: I would find the center of the 27' which is 13.5 and go up 20 inches there . And go up 20 inches on each end - and then chalk line half one way and the the other half the other way ... If I made sense ... This is pretty easy stuff here

Reply to
Popeye81$

It's been 7 years since Ben asked his question. The T1-11 is now rotted up to the roof. Why didn't you answer sooner?

Reply to
DerbyDad03