Peg Board

This peg board discussion has been interesting but as far as I've noticed no one has mentioned my biggest concern; how do you keep the dust off the "stuff" that's mounted. I keep my tools in drawers rather than exposed. And, yes, I have a 1 1/2 HP dust collector plus 3 shop vacs. Still, a lot of sawdust escapes capture.

Max

Reply to
Max

I don't. I just brush, wipe, or blow it off when I need a seldom used tool. Most of my tools get used often enough that there is little if any dust buildup on them.

I can just see building drawers for all of my clamps :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Pegboard advocates have a simple solution for dust control on their proudly displayed tools. They obsessively polish their tools while doing no actual woodwork. After all, if you don't make any saw dust, it is much easier to keep everything clean.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I found that mounting 2" squares of 1/2" plywood behind the pegboard that spaces it off the wall helps. Dust will settle. Where I live, I have to deal with blowing sand, too. A woodshop has lots of tiny particles blowing all around. Every so often, I just take the blower nozzle, or even the leaf blower, and clean it out. You can't keep dust off your stuff. You can just clean it occasionally.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I think that deserved a

Reply to
Max

"Steve B" wrote

"Max" wrote

Arizona? I have the same problem in El Paso. But my shop, amazingly, is sufficiently "tight" that sand isn't nearly the problem that sawdust is.

Max

Reply to
Max

That's a messy problem.

Tool cabinets and kitchen-style cabinets here.

A known 'illegal' tool, the dreaded rubber-tipped, non-OSHS air blow gun will work wonders and move dust off the tool into the air.

-- When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire. -- Whoopi Goldberg

Reply to
Larry Jaques

blow gun. or leaf blower.

Reply to
Steve Barker

It just looks that way.

If you use your F*e*s*t*o*o*l, you will simply have little to no dust to worry about!

;)

Reply to
Swingman

Are you saying that the dust settles *behind* the pegboard? Wouldn't that be a fire hazard?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

For only $473.16, I'll sell you my microvac adapter for your shop vac. It's a tiny sucker!

-- Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A wise man once said: "There is nothing more expensive than a woman who is 'free for the evening'."

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

That's why God gave you two kidneys.

Reply to
HeyBub

I guess if you let it build up for sixty or more years, yes, it could. Otherwise, the normal shop guy will go through there with an air blaster at least every two years.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" wrote in news:jke1dc$fup$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

If you leave the bottom open, dust will be able to drop out naturally and there will never be any build up. There will be some collection, but after a point it won't continue building.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Puckdropper" wrote

I figured I'd leave the bottom open just so spiders, mice, and other vermin could have an easy way to come and go, and not set up housekeeping on a permanent basis.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well that's good, I still have a few years to go before I clean out behind my peg board...

I assume the guy that installed my pegboard 50 or so years ago also ran a copper grounding wire eliminating the need to dust behind the pegboard...

My Gawd, what are you guys, school teachers or something... sheesh!

Reply to
Jack