Parts for Old Woodworking Vise

I have an old Columbian Vise (model: 9-R-2) with a bronze release gear that seems to slip in some locations. Does anyone have a fix for this problem or a place where you can buy parts for an old vise?

By the way, Columbian is now owned by Wilson Tool and division of WMH Tool Group (Jet, Powermatic, etc.) and they say they don't have parts.

Thanks

Reply to
foster239

You mean the half nut?

I donno but these folks make the Morgan woodworking vises which should be very close in design, you could ask them to send you pics of their half nuts just to see if it is at least close enough:

Relate the size of the vise to them of course.

I asked a machinist about making a copy of mine so I wouldn't wear out the old one, which is an extremely soft brassy kind of metal... $70 ??? Good grief.

Reply to
AAvK

Alex,

I contacted Morgan Vises and they sent me a bronze part used in one of their vises that worked in my vise. Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Steve Foster

Reply to
foster239

Glad to help.

I just went through a storm of the same thinking, but in order to preserve the original part and not wear it out. I sent them (manager at Morgan) a series of pictures of the half nut along side of tape measure and complete explanation of the thread sizes. He replied and said they are the same size, but no doubt made of the same soft brass material. He told me $25, what did you pay?

Reply to
AAvK

He sent me the part and it is not exactly the same but very very close. I put in in my vice and it seems to work very well. He said it was made of Bronze, I think silicon bronze. I paid him $15 which was the price on the parts list he sent me. If it continues to work well, I might buy another as a spare. I would rather have a bronze part to wear out then a steel screw. Thanks again for the tip on where to get it.

foster239

Reply to
foster239

Hi, I have acquired a 10" 9-R columbian wood vice. It slides back and forth freely. Fliped it over, removed 2 lg screws, removed cap and nothing there to move jaws when handle turned. Where might I find this part that goes on the center threaded rod ??? please help

Reply to
Bob Massie

Here's a thread from someone else with the same vise and missing part.

Here's a discussion that was cited in that thread:

I don't know how helpful they are but Milwaukee Tool & Equipment apparently has a half-nut that can be adusted to fit without much effort.

Other options get more difficult:

You can get regular steel nuts with Acme threads from McMaster for not a lot of money, but they won't function in a vise without some work being done on them. This might be as little as grinding to fit or may require some welding.

Failing that you'll likely have to make a part or have one made--doesn't take a lot of lathe to do it--a Harbor Freight 7x10 will do it but by the time you've bought the lathe and associated tools you've paid for several good new vises.

Reply to
J. Clarke