Particle Board Painting

We found a dollhouse that had been tossed out in the trash and decided to fix it. Mostly it was gluing up bad joints and repairing some small wood pieces that had broken off from abuse.

The floor is hardboard which is holding up pretty well, but the walls are all 3/8" particle board. They had been covered with wallpaper, which SWMBO wanted removed and the board cleaned for painting. I"ve done most of that, but I have a concern about painting the boards. I have a feeling that it'll suck up as much paint as we can throw at it and still look pretty splotchy.

Has anyone ever successfully painted particle board? I was thinking of adding some sizing to it to fill it up, and had considered using a yellow glue/water mix. Does that make any sense? Or should I just slap paint at it til it looks ok?

TIA

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Hi I would try a thin coat of drywall compound then paint.

len

Reply to
leonard

Reply to
sweetsawdust

Reply to
eganders

Hi Tanus:

Use a coat (maybe two) of BIN-123 or Kilz shallac-based primer. It forms a nearly waterproof barrier and dries fast. Be sure you get the shellac kind, not latex.

Regards, John.

Tanus wrote:

Reply to
the_tool_man

Use a first coat of Zinnser BIN primer or something simlar (pigmented shellac)

Reply to
lwasserm

Thanks guys. I really liked the idea of drywall compound, but because it's already built, it'll be a bearcat to get the mud into the corners in such a small space. I'll try shellac since it seems to be the most popular solution.

Really appreciate the responses.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus