Paint Prograg

I don't think I have seen this topic here, but I am an infrequent lurker anyway. My son asked if I knew of a computer program whereby a person could take pictures of a house, and then using the computer, apply paint colors to interior and/or exterior surfaces. After looking around a bit on the net, I decided if any one source would know the answer, it would be the experts in the wreck.

How about it? Anybody know of a program that will allow that type of work? JOAT?

Bruce A. Whitney

the large paint companys have these programs available for contractors

Reply to
fsteddie

Shareware Paintshop Pro, or something like that. Your camera shots would have to be good. The feature I'm thinking of exchanges colours. The eyedropper picks each with left/right mouse, then another icon exchanges them. There is freeware Photfiltre, but I haven't tried it to see if it has that feature.

That process will be a bit dicey though as colours might be picked up in areas you don't want, as they are shared to get an overall effect. I don't know of any freeware or decent shareware, but most professional programs design from scratch, not photos, filling areas with colour, and are damned expensive. The only reason I mentioned the two above is you did say from a photo.

Reply to
Guess who

Benjamin Moore paints has a nice one. I was surprised at how simple it was to use. I got it over the counter at the store in Hinsdale, IL. Maybe they have a website.

Reply to
edswoods.1

Generic, cause my experience is with The GIMP (which is Free Software, runs select the surfaces you are interested in from the image, convert to grayscale, and use the selection as a transparent overlay on the the preferred color pasted into the region...

Dunno if that's how a image designer would do it, but that'd be my guide through the menus and tools.

The Gimp is at

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Adobe Photoshop--- The learning curve is slightly steep (for old guys like me), but your son, who most likely grew up w/computers & actually may read the help files would likely have no problem. If he is a student at a local college, they most likely have an educational version at their bookstore. Phil

Reply to
Phil at small (vs at large)

Indeed they do. It is wonderful. The odd time I get involved with floor/granite/wall paint selection, I use it. It runs flawlessly under UNIX on my Macs. (Benjamin Moore also makes the best paints, IMO.)

Reply to
Robatoy

Sat, Feb 11, 2006, 4:30pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com (Bruce=A0A.=A0Whitney) Anybody know of a program that will allow that type of work? JOAT?

A no brainer. Yellow paint. No prob.

JOAT I'm busy now, can I ignore you some other time?

Reply to
J T

My THANKS to all who replied. Yeah, you too JT! I will check out Benjamin Moore paints. The kid bought a program from Punch! software (< $60) for interior design. Says it will do what he wants. Punch! has a couple of downloadable trial versions I may try out.

Again thanks for your suggestions! Yellow paint. Blech. :-)

Reply to
Bruce A. Whitney

Mon, Feb 13, 2006, 12:32pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com (Bruce=A0A.=A0Whitney) doth sayeth: My THANKS to all who replied. Yeah, you too JT!

You were looking for the blind to lead the blind. You're just lucky I don't like purple.