Outhouse ideas

Indeed. Don't make it _too_ close in there. An elderly gentleman who expired in the necessary up here required tearing the place half down to get him out. Frozen, though. A call to remember.

Reply to
George

You could always add a nice seat....some horror inspiring thing.... Splinters, rusty nails....that sort of thing.

Another nice touch would be sign with "Please DO NOT feed snakes, mice, or other micellaneous visitors".

Reply to
bremen68

Yyyyouch!

Reply to
Robatoy

How about a sky light. Sure would be nice to be able to read. Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis

I'm sure our friend Morris can built a little battery powered servo-driven rodent/snake/hand/BabyChuckyFace/... with some green LED eyeballs to go BOOGA BOOGA when lifting the lid?

..may not have to sit down after that..anymore... off to the showers

Robatoy

I recall reading when I lived in Arizona that, historically, the majority of serious/fatal black widow bites occurred in the early years of settlement and resulted from the spiders' fondness for spinning their webs on the cool,dark underside of outhouse seats (and, of course, the lack of access to advanced medical care). Need for caution still pertains:

'll leave the design of a suitable 'spider evicter' as an exercise for the interested reader :-)

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

Run an underground cable to supply enough power for a small light so you can find the TP in the dark -- you may not want to turn it on for long in summer as the mosquitoes will find you faster. It may also be useable for a small heater for winter, just to make life a little bit more comfortable. Possibly with a switch in the cabin to pre-heat the privy. All that means you need to weather-strip the door and have any openings closable to keep the heat in. On second thought, why not an AC for summer use, controlled the same as the heater.

Reply to
EXT

I will be putting in a solar powered motion light.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

In Utah, it is the hobo spider, similar to the brown recluse in its bite.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

| In article , | jo4hn wrote: | || Steve B wrote: ||| I need to build an outhouse at my cabin for winter use when the ||| water is shut off. ||| ||| I want to put up some kooky things, and make it a real interesting ||| outhouse. ||| I have thought of things like TV antenna, satellite dish, gun ||| rack, and many ||| things. ||| ||| What joke items would you put on it? ||| ||| What practical useful things would you put in? ||| ||| Steve ||| ||| || Keep in mind that if you build the outhouse 100' from the house, || in the winter that's going to be 100' too far and in the summer || 100' too close. Also, put a speaker under the seat so's you can || surprise your guests. mahalo, || jo4hn | | I'm sure our friend Morris can built a little battery powered | servo-driven rodent/snake/hand/BabyChuckyFace/... with some green | LED eyeballs to go BOOGA BOOGA when lifting the lid? | | ..may not have to sit down after that..anymore... | off to the showers

Morris would go hi-tech to the extent of building an uplevel cistern, downlevel septic system, and installing indoor plumbing. Hmm... Solar panels to heat water and keep the house warm (above freezing, at least.)

Morris Dovey

- make it a 2-holer and tell people that there is a hole for each leg and a nice clean board to poop on.

- add plastic spiders on the boards

- no toilet seat, just the holes

- Sears catalog for those 'oops' moments

- a few dried corn cobs on the side too

- the infamous half moon cut into the door

- leave it tilted to one side just for grins

- beware of snakes and alligators sign

- maybe even a little piped in music of farts or jungle animals or halloween screams

- cold wet spagetti on the floor (worms)

- you might even add a little water spigot under the boards and give the 'guest' an occasi> I need to build an outhouse at my cabin for winter use when the water is > shut off. >

Reply to
John DeBoo

A brick exterior. To be really classy, you use curved bricks and make a _round_ one.

'Walnut paneling' for the interior -- some of that fake Masonite stuff. (It's comparatively inexpensive, and the 'picture of wood' side is impervious to most stuff.)

A dummy security camera, and a "smile, you're on Candid Camera" sign.

Any of numerous things, (delayed-action) activated by the closing of the door.

A fake door on an inside wall, labelled "Jacuzzi".

A trap-door in the floor, labelled "Wine cellar".

If it's on skids/runners -- so you just dig a new hole and move it, when it gets 'full' -- a steering-wheel in front of one of the seats. Which also leads to the possibility of tarting-up the exterior like some of the 'big rigs'.

The obvious -- a roll of TP.

The not-so-obvious -- *another* roll of TP. You *will* discover that the first one runs out at a _most_ inopportune time.

It's a whole lot easier to use at night, if there is at least 'minimal' lighting available in situ.

Switchable heater and/or fan is not a bad idea, either.

Something to use as an 'emergency raincoat' -- again, sooner or later, you will get caught out there by a downpour.

Aerosol air freshener.

Lysol.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Yabbut... all well and good...but not even ONE little wee prank?

Reply to
Robatoy
[snippage of some wonderful ideas]

...maybe add:

a velvet Elvis painting... or those dogs playing pool/cards.

a plastic 'wrought iron' torch.. with one of those electric flat filament 'flicker' bulbs?

A Red Green bobble head.

Reply to
Robatoy

"David Merrill" wrote in news:m0hfg.998889$xm3.303005@attbi_s21:

*snip*

A series of pinball flippers, maybe? Use the rest of the electronics from the pinball table creatively in the outhose ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

| In article , | "Morris Dovey" wrote: | || Morris would go hi-tech to the extent of building an uplevel || cistern, downlevel septic system, and installing indoor plumbing. || Hmm... Solar panels to heat water and keep the house warm (above || freezing, at least.) | | Yabbut... all well and good...but not even ONE little wee prank?

On /washable/ toilet seats, paint "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here".

On a more serious note - get a gallon plastic jug and an appropriate-sized piece of PVC pipe and build a screw-to-the-wall urinal. The PVC should extend at least 6" below the deck and sealed/cemented to the floor. Do artistic trimming of the plastic jug and paint a large "P" over it so first-time visitors won't be confused. Nobody likes a sticky/wet toilet seat - and you'll accrue serious points with your female visitors.

An outside wall might be a good place to mount a dry sink for washing up before/after.

Morris Dovey

Nope, wrong woods. Was a group, once again, out in Utah, I believe which made them from plywood. Called themselves the Birch John Society....

Reply to
George

Hanging on the inside of the door, a chalkboard.

Reply to
fredfighter

Would it be best to use cedar or redwood for the outside? Another wood?

STeve

Reply to
Steve B

| Would it be best to use cedar or redwood for the outside? Another | wood?

It wouldn't be important to me. I'd use whatever was local and inexpensive and plan on replacing it when time and weather dictated. An inexpensive pottery water pitcher and basin, a bar of soap, and a reasonably clean towel add up to Civilized Luxury in the context of an outhouse.

It'd probably make more sense to worry out how to keep towel and soap both dry and convenient than to be fussy about the wood...

Morris Dovey