OT: Woodshop music. Music, not audio gear.

Clapton? Stevie Ray Vaughn? maybe a little Santana?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1136873017.868555.121550 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

The re-mix of Live at Leeds ain't too shabby, neither.

Reply to
John Thomas

How about Leo Kottke?

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

Look for Charlie Musselwhite, John Hammond in that vein. Jimmy Rogers (the blue yodler, not Honeycomb), Hank Williams Sr., Merle Haggard, Hank Snow, Kitty Wells, Reba McIntire, Emmy Lou Harris, Bela Bartok, Mozart, Mendellsohn (sp), Brubeck (Take 5), Miles Davis (Kinda Blue), on and on...

If you like Choral Music, pick up a CD by Chanticleer, my favorite men's chorus ever. Russian? Try Dmitri Bortnyansky "Sacred Concertos", Vol4 (if Concerto 24 doesn't get your blood moving, you are dead) and "Agnus Dei" by the Choir of New College, Oxford (Ave Verum Corpus). These should be played rather loud.

Mariachi Mexico and Mariachi Vargas are great and good fun, especially with a Pacifico or two. Anyway, that's enough for now. musically yours, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

That's Utmost Most Reverend Royal Highness Mr. Leo Kotke, to you, Mike.

NObody does it like Leo. I tried to work out a piece of Leo's. I discovered that I was short 3 fingers and 4 strings. NO idea how he does what he does. Amazing. . . . . (He must use a tuning, no?)

Reply to
Robatoy

I am familiar with Grapelli. My dad has some of his stuff on vinyl (maybe even lacquer). A very unique sound, hard not to recognize. I will explore your suggestions. Thanks for those.

The last time I got married, In Spite Of Ourselves, by Prine and Iris DeMent was played. A real crowd pleaser. (Ripped (in the digital sense) off a DVD I bought called Live from Sessions At West 54th.

Oh, and if anybody heard ME talking Spanish, I'd be hauled off to a loonie bin.

Reply to
Robatoy

... or Delbert McClinton and Bonnie Raitt.

... and Flacco, Texas Tornadoes, or Frank Corrales for some 'tex-mex de luxe'.

Reply to
Swingman

Start your day with Copeland's, "Fanfare For The Common Man".

In fact, it might be interesting to do one day with all the music from Copeland's stuff for the Martha Graham ballet.

"Appalachian Spring" is a sure winner.

On day two I would fire up Dvorak's, "New World Symphony". A tasty piece that will hook you firmly into the work ethic.

I particularly like the brothers Gershwin, but I would save them for the weekend.

The Holderlin/Nietzsche/Strauss piece, "Also Sprach Zarathustra", would be a wonderful way to start a Wednesday.

If you play, " The Ride Of The Valkyrie's", at lunchtime, you will be invigorated for the whole afternoon.

A Thursday is a good time for a bit of Beethoven. I would recommend, "The Ode To Joy", a joint effort of Messrs. Schiller and Beethoven, for your buckup after lunch.

Friday is a prefigurement of the weekend and thus deserves a celebratory sort of music. If you are not into Mozart, I would go for ZZ Topps, "Sharp Dressing Man", but what do I know.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Sorry.. no room for Delbert. I got too much stuff.

Reply to
Robatoy

Bill Chase - Get it on Soundtrack to "The Peacemaker"

Plus others

XM Radio - Cinemagic plays mostly

Dave

TeamCasa

With that starter list, I can't believe I didn't see mention of Muddy Waters or Howlin' Wolf. (Those two are on my list of 'to be collected')

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

Especially, if like me, you see the choppers coming over the surf in Apocalyse Now. Love the music, but unless I am at the symphony, I am seeing Robert Duvall with his campaign hat on in my mind's eye.

Lots of eclectic and esoteric music mentioned here, no doubt.

But Robatoy, no mention of your fellow Canadian K.D. Lang?

Whatta talent.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Well, Nailshooter41, *IF that's your real name*, nobody can hit a note in the middle like KD Lang. Rides her Harley, smokes cigars, rolls her own tampons, and then sings with a sensitivity that is so amazing, it boggles the unboggable. I mean, how can a voice that is so accurate, so rock-solid, be so light?

A friend of mine e-mailed me today to tell that Alanis Morissette was going to be on Leno. I watched it. She's really become very well honed. Another amazing talent.

Now, having said all that... I can't stand either one of them, even though I can appreciate their abilities. Kinda like the rabbi who performs a circumcision with a Scary Sharp (TM) izmel, quickly and expertly. You got to tip your hat to the guy, but would you buy the video?

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

And no one mentioned Frank Zappa! What kind of a group are you anyway? No music when the power tools are on, but it's FZ (anytime, anywhere, and for no reason at all)during assembly time. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

When you're doing complex layouts, I recommend playing Me First and The Gimme Gimmes at high volume.

JP

********************* Savour the challenge.
Reply to
Jay Pique

"Robatoy" wrote [snip]

Try some of the stuff here ...

Rick

P.S. Get your shopbot yet?

Reply to
Rick M

I'm working on the building permit for a replacement garage big enough (and adequately sound-proofed) to house one. Maybe this year?

Reply to
Robatoy

One more I forgot about in my prior message:

Chris Ardoin and Double Clutchin' - Best Kept Secret

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I liked KD back in the early days, with the Reclines, when she was on Jack Webster's show talking about being the reincarnation of Patsy and wearing hornrim glasses with no lenses. But since then? The woman has a beautiful voice, but there's no *soul* in it.

Speaking of a light voice... Have you ever listened to Blossom Dearie? And yes, that's her real name.

*I'd* peel her a grape...

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I'm on a hiatus from Frank for a while. I'll do another burst sometime in the next year though.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone