OT- Wipe Out

Well, I went on my normal early morning bike ride on the mountain bike trails this morning. A buddy of mine and I have been riding our bikes back in there all summer. We had to ride elsewhere the past few weeks because of a big storm that blew down all sorts of trees and blocked the trails.

So, now that the chainsaw squad has taken care of the trees, we can now ride on our preferred path. Got to one area that the trail washed out years ago and if you're really good, you can ride it, if you're not, you have to get off and walk it. We made it about 1/2 way and then got off to walk it. As we got back on, I was looking to the left of the trail at the 15' drop off right up against the trail and thought, man I wouldn't want to fall off in there.

Well, a rule of thumb that I just learned, don't get on your bike as your looking at a 15' drop off, you'll ride right into it. So, as I fell, I shoved the bike to get it away from me and then turned my body so that could land on my back/side and not get any broken arms.

This was a straight 15' drop with nothing to break your fall except the ground at the bottom. I've got a few scrapes but no broken bones. I'm sure my back will be bruised tomorrow.

It's amazing how fast you can do things in only 15'. All the thoughts that went through my mind to get the bike away and turn to protect my arms and then the parachute Toller sold on eBay......

Have a good week everyone. Time to go to church and thank God for watching over me this morning...

Reply to
D Steck

Yep, it's a dangerous sport! Just last week, I was forced to do the "splits" during an exit at the USPA Nationals in Perris, CA. I'm still limping. Tom

Reply to
tom

Good moves..and here I thought you were also going to tell us how, after the chainsaw gang finished clearing the trails that you "found" some kind of great turning blanks or curly maple or such....Didn't tear a hole in yer Spandex didja???

Philski

Reply to
Philski

Don't wear the Spandex stuff. I just can't bring myself to wear that when a pair of shorts will suffice!

I guarantee you that there is some wonderful wood for turning laying around on the trails but it's going to stay there because I'm not going to try to carry it out. No way to get a car back in there and it's just no fun walking back in there with a wheel barrow or a little red wagon.

There is one big tree that came down - I bet it's 4' in diameter. It's huge. Every time I pass it I think of the bf of lumber that could be had out of it. Need to get a helicopter to lift it out though.

Reply to
D Steck

Couple of guys on atvs? Anyway you can attach a set of wheels to it making it easier to drag out or does the area have to many peaks and valleys?

Reply to
Upscale

Sounds like you'ld need something like this:

Archangel

No can do - no motorized vehicles allowed - and they are very strict on this.

Reply to
D Steck

If he were watching over you, you wouldn't have fallen in the first place.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Zat you GW? You posting under, what I call, a... pseudonym? You take care now, GW and be careful on that bike contraption. Wouldn't want you to get hurt; we all think you're doin' a heck of a job.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:42:48 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Fly-by-Night CC quickly quoth:

(Note to Tony Blair: Invite GW over for a bike ride at the White Cliffs of Dover.)

----

- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Time and unforseen circumstances befall us all."

There are lots of (more or less) upright woodworkers who can only count to

9 1/2 on their fingers. Doesn't mean God wasn't watching out for them ... means they weren't watching out where their fingers went. The cyclist could have landed on his noggin, the woodcrafter could have put his forearm where his finger went.

There are lots of examples of this principle in the Christian Bible ... but this isn't Bible class, it's "The Wreck"

Reply to
W Canaday

After a few swigs o'ale, eh? (Though I don't know what I'm referring to since I don't read the National Enquirer.)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC