OT: Why I'm Depressed

More than five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land."

Seventy five years ago Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land."

Today, Obama has stolen our shovels, taxed our asses, raised the price of Camels, and mortgaged the Promised Land.

I was so discouraged last night thinking about Health Care Plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security, etc. that I called a Suicide Hotline.

I had to press one for English and got connected to a call center in Pakistan. I told them I was suicidal.

They got very excited and asked me if I could drive a truck!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in news:i7jf0n$euq$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

My experience is different. Healthcare is good. Had I had Dutch healthcare insurance, I wouldn't have had to argue with United Healthcare multiple times, submit the same documents plus each time more info, etc. I broke tibia and fibula in Holland while on vacation. Happened at 10:30 AM. Took a while for the ambulance, but after ER and surgery to place 2 plates and 9 screws, I was in a hospital room (out of recovery) at 2:30 PM. It was nice talkingto the surgeon, and learning that he really wasn't interested in milking me for the utmost, but in caring for his patients, not being a "businessman". When I got the bills, there was one for the ambulance and one for the hospital treatment. The hospital bill was 2 lines (long and wrapped 3 times, but each was 1 line) - 1 for the ER and 1 for the surgery and hospitalization. Nothing extra for booties, TV, medications, or whatever. I wonder how that would compare to here in NJ/NY, both complexity and price wise.

Reply to
Han

---------------------------------------- Ye gad is this one is old and moldy.

First time I heard it, kicked the slats out of the cradle.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Han, it was a Joke. The last line ... the call center in Pakistan ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Did it have Pakistan and the last line?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

------------------------------------------ Like every story, ya gotta add something.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in news:i7jiro$61a$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I realize it was a joke, Lobby. But I am sick and tired of all the healthcare bashers. Yes, good healthcare is expensive - that's no joke. Keeping it affordable for most s what current legislation is attempting. But ALL have to participate, and yes, then it almost becomes a tax. Fine with me.

Reply to
Han

Works as a stand alone too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I read something the other day that claimed 30 cents of every health care dollar went to administration and profits of insurance companies. By contrast, Medicare overhead is 2% and of course 0% for profits.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Except that the overhead is underestimated because Other agencies do some of the work. IRS

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

My annual INCREASE NOTICE arrived in yesterday's mail from Assurant Health (subsidiary of John Alden Life). This year's increase? How about

27-f****ng-percent. $361/mo. on top of $1336/mo. which was approximately a $300/mo increase a year ago. $20,000/year. What bullshit. And that's for a $2000 deductible and no co-pays. NOT for my wife and me either - just me. I had a physical in April with the usual lab work and I had to visit an orthopedist this past week for the swelling and soreness in the center knuckle of my left hand. They've paid NOTHING for my healthcare in the past 11 months. They have just priced me out of the market.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

-------------------------------- Same order of magnitude increases have taken place here in California.

Public option anyone?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

My teeth are disintegrating, Lew. I want you to pay for new dentures for me, uppers and lowers. You, Obama, and the public option sure are swell. Thanks. Oh, and I need it TOMORROW, please.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

---------------------------------------- Piss poor planning on your part does not mean an emergency for the rest of us.

You have obviously known you had dental problems for some time.

Dental insurance not available in your area?

Assume that if you ignored your problem it would go away?

BTW, the current health care package does NOT include dental coverage.

If you would like dental to be included, you need to talk to your congressional representatives and let them know.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

WHAT? That's not what your prezident and the rest of the leftists say.

Yes, all my life. Some of my 45 year old fillings are going bad, too.

Yabbut, I always forgot to go buy it in between problems.

Absolutely not. I've never been more than about 2 years between dentist visits; usually annual.

Yeah, right.

Shit, we don't need a governmental clusterfuck over the existing broken medical/dental clusterfuck, we need to fix the underlying problems with the legal and medical infrastructures. They're both seriously damaged and getting worse daily.

My last crown cost a grand, with root canal, a decade ago. Now the idiots want $2,243 for one f****ng tooth. Tell me that's not broken!

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sep 27, 9:42=A0am, Larry Jaques wrote: [snipped for brevity]

Free enterprise should be allowed to flourish in those markets where the consumers have choice. Bigger faster better cars are optional. Health-care is not. Just as we allow our government to lay pipes to haul our shit away, build roads so we can visit Aunt Bee, so is our national health a part of our infra-stucture. Sick people, sick economy. Allowing lobbyists to buy legislators to further their agendas of screwing the working stiffs is what is immoral and totally wrong and corrupt. Corporate donations to campaigns is wrong. People in government making military decisions who themselves never strapped a boot on is wrong. The power of the financial institutions influencing all aspects of a regular guy's daily life is wrong. Nobody is free from those vultures and to cut off your noses to spite your faces for the sake of a mock freedom is wrong. Shoot all the lawyers, politicians and all those motherfuckers who insist a human being has to be either right or left in order for them to be allowed to exist. They keep us divided so that once a year they can harvest a big chunk of what we toiled to earn and what they didn't get at tax time, their buddies in the unsurance [sic] and medical/dental business will get the rest. And no matter how you dress it up, we are all getting f***ed.... and we seem to like it. And as long as we can keep blaming 'the other side' we continue getting f***ed. Early on I thought the Tea Party may have been on to something, but noooooo, they have to bring in religious zealots and anti-masterbatory kooks and hefty slogans like "You betcha!" Early on I thought Obama may have been onto something...bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzer just another politician. No more no less. A real disappointment.

Unfortunately, The Great North American Implosion is also going to affect us Canuckistanis hence my appearance today on the soap box. I keep peeking over the St Clair River into Detroit, that once magnificent city, and watching it crumble at a rate that nobody could have ever imagined.

My youngest daughter's orthodontist was outraged at the last yacht club meeting that his docking fees were going to go up $ 600.00 next year. Everybody with boats over 40 feet long has to now pay more. Those bigger boats sleep more people, more sewage treatment, more electricity.....I mean, shit, C-Less... you just have no idea the financial pressure these tooth-smiths are under. (BTW, that is the same daughter who got a concussion playing rugby in Ohio, bills for which are still showing up even after the insurance people have paid them, just an example of office automation designed to f*ck people.)

Reply to
Robatoy

That partially reminds me of 2004 when my mother was in Sunnybrook dying of cancer. The donations arm of the hospital called me during that time for a donation to the cancer wing. Of course, considering they were treating my mother at the time, I agreed to donate $60. I said I'd send a cheque, but they said they could only accept credit card donations. When asked if I'd donate $60 twice yearly, I stated a categorical "no". Next thing I know, I receive a letter in the mail thanking me for my twice yearly donation of $60 to be charged to my Mastercard. It took me four months including three visits to the hospital bastards to get them to give me a letter retracting that proposed Mastercard charge. That killed the golden goose. Since then, I've refused *ALL* requests from everyone for donations over the phone.

Reply to
Upscale

I never was that enthralled with Obama, but I voted for him as the lesser of two evils. And I probably will again even if I have to hold my nose to do it. It's better than returning to the days of WMD, soak the poor and give it to the rich, Katrina, torture, warrantless wiretapping, and on and on and on.

Did anyone else notice that a large amount of money financing the Republican midterm campaigns is coming from 2 organizations started by Karl Rove? 'Nuff said.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

you really think any set of politicians gives a rats ass about following their promises, or is different than the previous set (or any future set) of politicians on wiretapping?

chaniarts

Heh!

  • There were no WMDs.
  • A greater percentage are poor now than ever before.
  • On Katrina, you neglect Hurricane Rita. Bush sent it as the rinse cycle.
  • I have to shrug my shoulders over torture
  • The first "warrantless wiretapping" took place during our Second American Revolution (sometimes called the "Recent Unplesantness") when both the Union and Confederate forces tapped the telegraph lines of their adversary. In spite of Secretary of State Heny Stimson's sniff: "Gentelmen do not read other gentlemen's mail," intercepting the enemy's communication has been common. One only has to look at the British efforts called Enigma and our breaking of the Japanese Purple Code to see that such efforts contribute greatly to success.

Karl Rove sure as hell isn't going to give money to the Democrats.

Reply to
HeyBub