OT Who knew? Oil Springs, ON, struck first oil.

You hafta stay away from True North... That's a scary place. Because if you go due South, from True North, and then go due West for a few hundred kms, then turn due North...you're back where you started...nu-uh..weird shit happens up there...

Mag North, is closer to New Foundland.. in some ways even scarier.

Reply to
PDQ

After reading some of this convoluted geography debate, I can only conclude that canadians are wandering around wondering where they are.

No wonder they drink so much of that macho beer they brew up on those parts. I assume that they have no problem finding the beer.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Not a problem. We all know where the government dairy is.

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

=2E..wait... I'm busy bouncing a globe off the wall... this is fun....

Reply to
Robatoy

Thunder bay is not on the west side. it's on lake superior. if you go west to manitoba an head south you'll hit minnesota, lake of the woods. it's about 250 mi from thunder bay to the manitoba border with kenora in betwixed. watch out for moose. ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

That's what I said. Western Niagara peninsula, which is in Eastern Ontario (actually South Central Ontario).

Dave N

Reply to
David G. Nagel

You do realize that was a rhetorical question? Thunderstinkin Bay is no more in Northern Ontario than Anchorage is Northern Alaska. There's a WHOLE lot more of both WAY north of both. Even Hearst isn't really Northern Ontario.

By the way, someone mentioned Cornwall. Reminds me of an old story we used to tell about Jacksonville, FL, when I was living there. It goes:

some guys in Tampa were talking around the water cooler at work one day. One of their co-workers, who hadn't been around for a few days walked up. "Bob, where the hell you been?"

"Well, remember the attitude adjustment session at the tavern last week?"

"Yeah, you looked like you were cutting one out of the herd, there."

"Yup. Did real good, too. We left the bar, went dancing a little, had a late dinner, a little vino. Started a little neck nibbling. After a while, we got a little more intense in the back of a taxi and she started really getting excited."

"So?"

"She came up for air at one point and said, 'kiss me where it smells' so I took her to Jacksonville. I just got back."

Reply to
LRod

Robatoy wrote in news:bb6618d0-34a4-44ca-982b- snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Well, if I look at a map of Ontario on yahoo, it looks sort of like the "boot" of Italy, only a lot more sqat. Oil Springs is then near the Western tip of the most Southern part, which leans heavily Eastwards, like Calabria in Italy is the westernmost part of southern Italy, but it it is East of the center of Italy.

I can only conclude that Canadians have some sort of trouble with geography, unless, like in Europe, boundaries/borders/regions have changed for infernal reasons of marriage and/or war.

Reply to
Han

Where is Canada?

Reply to
Woodie

The 49th parallel is the main devider between Canada and the USA, except for the great lakes and St Lawrence Seaway. And a VERY siseable proportion of Canadians live "south of the 49th" Ontario is rouchly devided between eastern ontario(that part roughly east of Hogtown and south of Quebec), Central Ontario,(that part rougly south of Barrie and west of Toronto's eastern edge), sothwestern ontario (the area roughly south of toronto),the "near north", extending from the top of Georgean bay to the corner of Quebec,(or roughly the 49th) and the "north", which is about 75%+ of the province. All of the western part of canada is in the "NORTH" by that standard, as is most of Quebec and Newfoundland

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

You want to try to get around Waterloo County, Ontario. The "twin cities" of Kitchener and waterloo share 2 main streets - Weber and King, that run parallel to each other (more or less), North, South, East and west, and cross 3 times. (North and south in Waterloo, East and west in Kitchener, nominally) Virtually nothing runs true north or south or east or west, with no neatly laid out "grid". Then go to Guelph - and Goderich (both outside the region) - goderich , on the bay, is set out like a roundhouse, while Guelph is laid out like a horseshoe. Both cities were designed by John Galt - and the plans got mixed up - putting the "railroad city" on the bay, and the "harbour city" totally landlocked.

Oh wel - makes life and travel interesting.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

How about calling it a suburb of Detroit?

Reply to
Rick Samuel

As a born and raised Saskatchewanian (try typing that after a alco-pop or two), let me offer my $.02. The way I see it is that most Ontarioans still think of Ontario as it was when it was known as "Upper Canada" . By that measure Oil Springs likley would be in south western Upper Canada, and the rest of Ontario doesn't exist in their minds.

There used to be a fairly large contingent of people from western Ontario (Thunder Bay, Kenora, etc) who seriously thought of joining Manitoba - they have a whole lot more in common with the west than they do with the Centre of The Universe;

Reply to
Doug Brown