OT to the Extreme - Worth Saying Nevertheless

Same here - didn't even get an enema - just drank a brine concoction and sat on the throne for a while the night before. I'd planned on watching, but when the doc found a couple of polyps (benign) he cranked up the sedative before he snipped them and I went bye-bye.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Huh? In my case it was a gastroenterologist and his nurse.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

For you old farts who are being badgered by your doctor to have a colonoscopy: My doc did this for several years. It wasn't until my cousin's wife died a long, horrible death with colon cancer that I decided I should do it. Made the appointment. Dreaded it for weeks. Did it Thursday.

The horror stories that go with this simple procedure are the most over-rated BS fiction ever told. At worst it was inconvenient. I like to eat and it slowed me down for a day - but DAMN that first meal was good! Go get it done. The potential penalty for failure to do this is an unimaginable horror. I saw it happen.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Been about 4 years, so almost time for another, but you're right, the benefits far outweigh the minor 24 hour inconvenience.

Worse part is that gallon (seems like it anyway) of stuff that even a beer glass won't make easier to chug-a-lug... compared to that, the actual procedure is a piece o' cake.

Reply to
Swingman

Can you say, "Funnel?" (A collegiate ritual...)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Yeah I heard about that stuff in the "horror stories". Apparently they have made it easier now. They gave me a bottle full of Visicol tablets which are about the size of a multi-vitamin. The evening before, you take four every

15 minutes with water for an hour. Then four with 12 oz of ginger ale (which I like anyway). Two hours later you do a small version of this procedure .

Gets it over with quickly with minimal strain (he-he).

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Reply to
John DeBoo

Must be better. They put me to sleep for about 20 minutes and it was over. Again, what you experienced was among the horror stories I had heard. They are making it easier.

I had an upper GI about 15 years ago with a Valium drip. I kinda knew what they were doing but didn't much care. The worst part was deadening of the tongue and palette before the Valium.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Well, I didn't quite say that! But anticipation far was worse that the act. Actually my personal doctor did the procedure at an outpatient surgery facility. The probe is a little disconcerning when you see it sitting on the surgical tray (Garden hose with a camera - well, not quite). My son-in-law who practices from a rural facility does them in his own clinic. He has folks trained to assist with the anesthesia and such.

It hasn't been that many years since this kind of procedure required an overnighter and a hell of a lot more discomfort. Modern medicine is good, just expensive!

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Sat, Nov 19, 2005, 10:11am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) did lament: Worse part is that gallon (seems like it anyway) of stuff that even a beer glass won't make easier to chug-a-lug... compared to that, the actual procedure is a piece o' cake.

Yup. First colonscopy, got the Fleets Phospho Soda - 2 small bottles, one in the morning, one in the evening. Nasty.

For my colon resection, wanted something not so nasty. Got prescribed GoLightly - a freakin' gallon of it. Made the Fleets almost better. Started puking at the half gallon level. Urgh.

For the next, and rest, colonooscopy, got prescribed pills. Start in the evening, one every 15 minutes with water, then finish the rest in the morning. I get a bit of an upset stomach, not severe, and so very much more preferred over the Fleets or GoLightly. The voice of experience.

So, now, possibly the most inconvenient part of the whole deal, for me, is getting one of my sons to drive me to and from the actual procedure - they wont allow you to drive yourself home after, which is wise.

When they took the bandage off after the operation, looked like I had tiny little railroad tracks running up my stomach, so I had a nurse take a picture of it.

JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

Reply to
J T

Sat, Nov 19, 2005, 10:33am (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (John=A0DeBoo) laments: Sure hope its better now than it was 15 years ago. I thought someone had shoved a 2x4

Heh heh. My doctor knocks me out enough I don't remember anything, but apparently I'm awake enough to shift position when they want me to. AND, apparently they only use a small tupe of some type (I've not seen it, and don't care to), so no discomfort after.

JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

Reply to
J T

Izzit gonna be on abpw? I'll show you mine if'n you show me yours. j4 :-)

Reply to
jo4hn

You're nominated for the new colonoscopy moderator.:-)

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Sat, Nov 19, 2005, 11:11pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@anywhere.net (Mike=A0O.) doth sayeth: You're nominated for the new colonoscopy moderator.:-)

Gee Mike, I would, but I'm already a moderator on one of the Yahoo forums, and that keeps me busy about once a year. Looks like you're stuck with the job.

JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

Reply to
J T

I got doped on some cocktail that lets you remember nothing, and it worked, I remember NOTHING after getting a needle in the back of my hand until having coffe and sandwiches much later on. So the interesting philosophical thing is: If I was in agony and can't remember it, was I in agony?

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Reply to
nospambob

That procedure got 3 polyps, one cancerous. Next 3 got a couple

Congratulations Bob. It is folks like you and my cousin's wife that caused me to post this in the first place. Sounds like you are doing ok.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

You're probably better off to cruise the forest looking for a fallen=20 tree. ...You can harvest the lumber.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

OK, I'm convinced.

I'm making the appt for my 50 yr/50,000 beer checkup. Whichever comes first.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Technically, wouldn't he now have a _semicolon_?

Reply to
Dave Hinz