OT The Ranger

When I was shopping trucks in 07 it did not make much sense to go the smaller vehicles over the large. Not that much price difference and seriously, 1~2 MPG better than the big boys. Mileage is better today with the smaller ones.

Reply to
Leon

This was just bags of grain going to the mill to be chopped for pig feed. 10 oe 12 big bran sacks at a time

It was the 307 302 350 SBC years that were somewhat less than stellar (to put it mildly_) and the new stuff is even worse. The old 235/261 stovebolts were pretty good - the 230/250 (and 194) were pretty iffy - the 292 was better. We never got the "gms" engines - all Chevy up here (no big V6 etc)

The big 637 gasser wan;t bad - but that's going back a while. We got a few in the heavy trucks. Got the odd 37a too - based on the Olds I think. And spme 366 big-block Chevys (along with the 396/402/427/454/496/502 line. Then also the VERY odd 702 V12 THUNDER engine.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Or a "trailer ladder" - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

My ranger worksthat way too. A paie of 2X6 slats in the liner pockets and a 4X8 almost reaches the end of the (down) tailgate. Gotta love the 7 foot box.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Like I said -- - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Basically what they did is brought out a new Explorer Sport-trac and called it a Ranger - - -

My dad had GM Handi-vans, Dodge Tradesmans,Dodge D100, Chevy c10 and F100 /F150 pickups, the '75 Fargo, a GMC Cube-van and a Toyota Hilux Heavy Half.

That little Heavy Half Yota handled everything he threw at it - was seldom under a ton of payload - with a plywood shed box on it and several rolls of electrical cable plus his tools. He took out ONE wheel bearing inthe 6 years he pounded the crap out of it - nothing else. The guys said the way that TOY Yota stood up to "Swervin' Mervin" they'd hate to see what a REAL Yota would do. He died before the big Tundra hit the scene.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The big ones are getting better too. The difference doesn't matter to me much. I appreciate the larger vehicle. Even the extended cab can seat four adults comfortably. The back seat of a Mustang is useless, so if we have anyone visiting, we drive the truck.

Reply to
krw

Only available on the short cab, isn't it? My Ranger was an extended cab. I wanted some space to put stuff inside the truck.

Reply to
krw

Makes sense. Wasn't the Explorer built on a Ranger chassis?

That does give me a good idea of what it is. Thanks.

Reply to
krw

Early Explorers were Ford Pickups.

Leon

Well the latest Tundra is not. LOL I think the 19's are getting worse than I get. I at least average 16 in town and 19 ish on the road with the 5.7. My Tundra has the extended cab now, SHMBO has indicated a "Crew Cab" will be on the next vehicle since the passengers will be our age. ;~) And like you, the truck will be the one we use when going with friends over the Camry.

Reply to
Leon

Either, the former or the ladder. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Sounds like a tall order to me. . .

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Early Rangers were ALSO full-sized Foed Pickups.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

\ My brother has the older Tundra Super Crew - bought it for towing his travel trailer and to have room for his dogs. That thing has as much room as a Lincoln Town Car Limo.

Friends have a Chevy and a GMC - one is the base 4 door and the other is the full-sized crew. They travel with the full crew - the standard

4 door is their "farm truck" The Impala is the "gp-to-town" car
Reply to
Clare Snyder

not like themillionaire business developer tv star who couldn't figure out how to climb down into the basement because the shortest ladder he had was only six feet TALL?

Reply to
Clare Snyder

In 1969, I don't think there was anything but a full sized pickup from ford. FWIW the Ranger was the full sized Ford too.

Reply to
Leon

After that, you need to be punnished.

Reply to
krw

I remember riding in the back of Chrysler 6 pack with an Aim 9, we had a fighter make an emergency landing at Cherry Point. Orders were bring back the missile to Seymour Johnson, nobody tail gate the pickup on the way back on US 70.

Reply to
Markem