Saga of the Long Ranger

I have used a Long Ranger III to control my dust collector for several years. Yesterday when I pressed the on button of the remote nothing happened. So I took the battery out and took it in the house and tested it--it was dead. I replaced the battery and took it back and nothing happened when I pushed the button. So I went out and checked the dust collector and it started up fine when I plugged it into the outlet. I said to my self, the Long Ranger has died. Before ordering another one I raised the hood to see what was fried inside. It looked fine. Then I saw a little black button I had not noticed before. It said it was to synchronize the remote signal with the box push the button then press the on or off button within 5 seconds. I put it all back together, plugged it in and synchronized the remote. Now it works again. I surmise that changing the battery changed the remote code. That battery was the original one and was not even an alkaline battery.

At my age you learn the same things over and over.

Reply to
G. Ross

Sometimes, some programed remotes actually hold their settings when you change the batteries. Good that you found the sync button. BUT it may have lost sync after the original battery went dead.

Reply to
Leon

Oh, this is about a dust collection system. I thought you were going to quote Tonto:

"What you mean *we*, pale-face?"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"G. Ross" wrote in news:taadnSW7IeN3wsnLnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

What are you, 18?

It's just the way our memories work. If we don't use knowledge it either gets pushed aside or pretty much forgotten. I visited a retro arcade and it took a couple games before I was back to scoring 80,000+ on Ms Pacman. (Btw, if you live in Fayetteville AR look it up. $5 entry fee, all games are free to play. Arkadia Retrocade was the name.)

Now, your memory of this will probably be a little stronger so the next time your remote forgets the code you'll remember how to restore it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper