Fastening suggestions

I have the small 40" x 48" Harbor Freight trailer which I will use for hauling 4 x 8 sheets of material (Plywood, drywall, etc.) I came across this idea which I like and plan to use.

I don't plan to follow the exact design and just using 1" x 4" treated boards which I want to be removable. The layout will be one 8' board on each side, an 8' diagonal board in the middle and I will add cross boards at front and back. I'm searching for suggestions on quick connect/disconnect fasteners to connect the boards with each other while in use, then quickly disassemble when complete.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Reply to
Meanie

Hinges with removeable pins?

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That's strange...I don't see the original post, just your response.

In any case, I built a knockdown platform bed for a college student using that basic design (four 2x12's as the base) and the removable pin hinge technique. With the platform cut into

2 sheets, he put the whole thing in his car and off to school he went.

It was full size to start, then cut down to twin for a friend's kid for a while and then I gave it away on Craigslist to a young couple that said it would make a perfect "daybed" for their porch.

A simple build that's seen a lot of use over a 20+ year period.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thought about that but don't want the hassle of having to punch out a pin each time, though, I could grind down the pin for a looser fit to allow easy insert and removal by hand. I also thought about the lift off hinges. I'll consider both. Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

Lee Valley has various knock-down panel fasteners ; or bed-locks .... but I'd be tempted to buy some cheap hinges or old heavy ones from The Re-Store. Make up a pull-ring for removing the pins easily ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Large hinges from Restore as John suggests. Knock out pins and replace with appropriate sized bolt. 1/4-20 would likely work.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Good ideas. Thank you, gents.

Reply to
Meanie

Or a spike - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Some dowels or dominos or a tounge and groov and put a couple of ratchet cargo straps around it to hold it all together. If you want to get fancy put some cleats to keep the straps in position.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm still not seeing the OP's posts, so I'll toss this in here...

Why use fasteners at all? How about halved joints, cut at an angle?

Heck, even a X centered in the trailer would work. 2 boards, 1 halved joint, done.

DerbyDad03

I like this idea as it allows for simple assembly and disassembly. Though, I did hinge and the side boards with the end boards but I half jointed the cross center board. I will be adding another to make an X in the middle. I think I'll also half joint the end boards also and remove the hinges.

Reply to
Meanie