OT The Ranger

I like it, things I notice first it is about the same size as a F 150. Has a lot of bells and whistles, but plugging in a USB flash drive loaded with music is great (having once crashed while retrieving a CD from the floor). The tail gate is lighter than other ones. Gas milage is real good, about 21 + around town (not a city small town) and got 32 on a trip in to St Louis on the interstate. When the weather gets cold heated seats.
Have been considering a travel trailer, with 7500 lbs rating.

So, why not just get an F150. I'm not a fan of the new Ranger; it's way too big. Give me a turn of the millenium small truck ranger anyday :-)
On Fri, 31 May 2019 22:51:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Just replaced theball joints on my '96 at 365,400km
Glad I had the "blur tip wrench" to coax it apart - started at about 10 am with a trip to Parts Source to borrow the ball joint press and a set of pickle forks - finished cleaning up the driveway and putting away the tools at 6pm. A bit slower than it would have been on a hoist.
On Fri, 31 May 2019 22:51:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

It was my understanding that the reason they dropped the Ranger (I had an '01) was that they cost almost as much as an F150 to make but they could only get 75% of the price - no profit. It was surprising, though I welcomed it back but if it's the same size, I'll take the F150. Don't see the point.
BTW, my '01 fell apart in '13. Its frame rotted out where the leafs connected and the springs were resting on the body. Scary. I bought an F150 the next day. ;-) It would cost me almost double the $$ to replace it now. :-(
On Fri, 31 May 2019 21:36:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

My first brand new vehicle was a black 1980 F100. $ 5700. 6 cyl. 3 on-the-tree red vinyl interior It was so bare-bones - it didn't come with a day-night rearview mirror !! I had to go buy one at the wreckers. I drove it 13 - 14 years 300 k + km motor, trans, clutch still OK and a young guy bought it to remove the rusted box and put on a flat-bed. John T.
snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Yours came with a rearview mirror?? ; )
I had to go buy one at the wreckers.

I picked up a couple young hitch-hikers one day, 15 year old guys heading to the beach, and one of them was forced to ask, after seeing me shift the 3-on-the-tree " How do you know where the gears are ? " ... not stamped into the knob like the 4-on-the-floor cars that he'd seen before ... :-) Even for 1980 it was a very rare bare-bones vehicle - I don't think that it even had PS PB . but the advertised price in large bold type in the newspaper advert. would attract attention and get people into the showroom to get up-sold. John T.
On Sat, 01 Jun 2019 09:48:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I drove a car with a three-on-the-tree for my road test when I was 16. During the test, I had to park on a hill (put the car in reverse, turn wheel into curb which depended on direction, etc.). Everything went right but I shifted into second instead of reverse. I quickly thought, "he'll never notice that". He didn't. ;-)

On 6/1/2019 3:47 AM, Bill wrote:

So way back when,,,, I worked at an Oldsmobile dealership. I was in the back end of the business. My sister, 12 years older then me, wanted a new car. I went with her to our fleet salesman and we worked out the details. Going through the items to add he came to the option of adding a right door mirror. My sister said NO, I don't use rear view mirrors!!!
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com writes:

My (former) '00 Ranger is still going strong (gave it to my nephew back in 2016 with 130k miles on the clock).
On Sat, 01 Jun 2019 16:16:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Vermont salt did mine in. They hadn't seen anything like it in the shop here (Georgia).
On 5/31/2019 5:51 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Probably gas mileage.

$15,000 price difference also.

More like $4,000, buy-in difference. You can spend silly money on not much more than paint for any truck.
On Sat, 01 Jun 2019 22:26:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

An F 150 Platnium edition 55K, my ranger 40K. I do not know about your math but I know what I researched as to prices.

The Ranger only comes four door with a short bed. A blinged out Ranger to my way of thinking makes a poor substitute for an Escalade EXT that can be had used for the same money and is outfitted like, well, a Cadillac. And that unlike the Ranger will actually hold a sheet of plywood flat with the tailgate closed.
Honda calls their Ranger equivalent a "lifestyle truck". If I get a truck I want a truck to haul stuff, not to show the onlookers that I have a "truck lifestyle". If I want to impress the onlookers with my vehicle I'll go for a Tesla or a Corvette, not a cheap undersized truck.
On Sat, 01 Jun 2019 23:04:02 -0400, J. Clarke

Well I am glad you can tell me how to spend my money, I bought what I wanted, it is paid for no loan. My house is paid for, if I wanted a Tesla or a vette I could buy that with out a loan. So your opinion is yours and I do not care as to what you thoughts are as to what I should have done.
On 6/1/2019 10:24 PM, Markem wrote:

Consider the source.
Escalade EXT = POS, there is a reason they are soooooo cheap to buy used.
Tesla = Can't go all day cross country with out several hours of rest at a "Spa"
On 6/1/2019 10:04 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

An now we have heard from the truck expert.

Good grief! The "Platinum edition" is "silly money on not much more than paint". Are you really that dumb?