OT: Serious bleep for a minute

On 9/5/2009 3:46 PM Robatoy spake thus:

Hmmm, between yours and mine, not sure which way the irony got twisted up there. If you're saying that sarcastically, then I agree with you (in other words, let's not treat Canada as our new colony). I'm not one of the "USA über alles" crowd here. Are we OK now?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Well, at least you're not forcing me to play the Celine Dijon [sic] card.

=3D0)

Reply to
Robatoy

On 9/5/2009 3:57 PM Robatoy spake thus:

Or the Alex Trebek card, the Richard Dreyfuss card, the Martin Short card, the SCTV card, etc., etc.

(Anyone except Gordon Lightfoot. That one you can keep.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

It don't _need_ no steenkeeng _runway_.

Reply to
J. Clarke

What does Richard Dreyfuss have to do with Canada?

I'll unleash the Jim Carrey card if you aren't careful.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

To hell with this... I'm raising to 'Shatner' level.....

Reply to
Robatoy

Alternatively, if people _have_ to live there, tornado-proof structures should be developed for the purpose.

Of course people are sometimes incredibly stupid about such things--I never will forget a bunch of engineers at Enormous Aerospace lining the windows watching a tornado coming right at the building. Personally I found a 20 foot thick reinforced concrete slab to hide under. Fortunately the tornado missed the building.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It's a flying boat, at least per the media.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's a flying boat. Period. And not to 'Stein' the discussion, the 'real' meaning of amphibious is:

Etymology: Greek amphibios, literally, living a double life, from amphi- + bios mode of life

That means, IMHO, that all airplanes are amphibious. N'est pas?

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

Yea, yea, yea, I know David... if it isn't American it ain't worth a f*ck, eh? ====================

We just don't want to deal with the snow, mooses and penguins.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

On 9/5/2009 4:11 PM FrozenNorth spake thus:

What, indeed; I was confusing his role as a Jewish kid from Montreal in "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz" with his life.

Ten lashes with a wet noodle for me, and I'll go watch a hockey game, eh.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Penguins?

Aren't penguins limited to the Southern hemisphere?

I thought it was polar bears.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Jewish kid from Montreal? You mean Leonard Cohen? *S* (I saw him in concert a few months back...and he makes amateurs like Lightfoot look like a high-school act.)

Reply to
Robatoy

Talk to Lyle Lovett about penguins...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Just funnin' ya. I knew that would get a rise out of Robatoy.

Just for the record, what is the difference between a polar bear and a penguin?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Try SIZE.

Back about 1980-1985, the Holiday Inn in Moline, Il, had a stuffed polar bear up on it's hind legs in the lobby.

The ceilings in the lobby were at 2nd story level, and needed to be to accomodate the bear.

He was one BIG dude.

Maybe 6-8 penguins stacked on top of each other might have gotten to the shoulder of that bear.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Try plucking a polar bear...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

*giving my head a shake*..... Ohhhhh *PLUCKING!!!*****
Reply to
Robatoy

>> Except that that most assuredly _IS_ a Martin Mars. The Canadair

Did you notice how little lake was left when if finally got airborne?

There's some pucker for ya!

Reply to
cavelamb

Well actually most any where can flood. Regardless of where you live something can get you. Hurricanes, tornados, blizzards, earth quakes, sink holes, etc. IMHO your are always in some kind of danger. Having lived through several disasters I believe the best you can do is live in a less populated area. The advantage to this is that when a disaster does hit, you are not in line behind 2,000,000 other people with the same problem. IMHO the biggest problem with living in a heavily populated disaster area is that it takes "for ever" to get things back to normal.

Reply to
Leon