Sharpening multitool/oscillating saw blades

I find myself using the multitool a lot on jobs, more and more often. It does a great job on cutting drywall, wood base, all sorts of things that occasionally have nails in them. The blades are pretty expensive and this last job I dulled a couple of them.

I started out placing an order for more blades and it occurred to me to try sharpening one of them. The Harbor Freight dished half moon blades I filed with a triangle needle file, took maybe 5 minutes. The Versatool bimetal blades (nice blades, by the way) were too hard for a standard file, so I used a Harbor Freight diamond triangle needle file. A stroke or two on each tooth and a couple minutes and it was good as new.

The blades have a slight amount of set to the teeth and I didn't worry about it or filing from both sides, I just clamped them in a vise between two scraps of wood and had at it. They work good as new.

I figure I saved more than $50 in a half hour.

Reply to
Wally

I have heard that could be done. However, IIRC Dremel makes blades that will fit the Fein as does Bosch. IIRC the Dremel blades are Inexpensive. You might have only saved $10 if resharpening a Dremel blade. ;~) Any good to hear for sure that the blades can be reworked.

Reply to
Leon

I no longer look at the price of blades. That Multimaster has been one of the most effective tools I own. That damned tool needs a statue and a shrine. Got me out of many binds. Fein deserves a star on the WoodDorker's Walk Of Fame.

Reply to
Robatoy

Hell, that tool is so cool, Shatner Himself could have invented it.

Reply to
Robatoy

Here's another way: Use a Dremel rotary tool to cut notches in the blade,

1/16" deep, 1/16" between.

You're done.

And I can't detect ANY set to the teeth.

Reply to
HeyBub

replying to Leon, gpd19533 wrote: The fastest way with best results is to use the new product called the Sharp Pog.I have one and it works great . They can be ordered off their website

Reply to
gpd19533

With out my preceding comment I have no idea what you are answering.

Reply to
Leon

From 2009, you replied to Wally.....

- show quoted text - I have heard that could be done. However, IIRC Dremel makes blades that will fit the Fein as does Bosch. IIRC the Dremel blades are Inexpensive. You might have only saved $10 if resharpening a Dremel blade. ;~) Any good to hear for sure that the blades can be reworked.

Reply to
Sonny

Oh! Thank you Sonny. LOL. I was wondering if it was about the Work Sharp knife sharpener. FWIW the Work Sharp knife sharpener is a no brainer, almost can't screw up, fast, knife sharpener.

Reply to
Leon

That's probably Iggy's brother.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Then the idiots tell you how to make one from standard hardware store stuff.

art

Reply to
Artemus