multitool blades

Hi,

Are all multitool blades much the same in terms of life?

I was using a 65mm blade to cut through some wooden battens that were attached to a wall. I allowed the blade to go through the wood and hit the blockwork behind it and have blunted the blade, so I went to ebay to look for some bargains. It's been said here before that the ebay ones are just as good as anywhere else.

There is someone selling "nail eater" blades

and I wondered whether these are in some way superior or whether it is just a name invented by the marketing department to increase sales?

There is a video on the page but the focusing was not very sharp so it was hard to see the blade and there was no commentary so I am not sure whether he was using two of the same blades or two differnt makes or what was the point he was making?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

em257ac218d8

There needs to be a comparable rating so you can tell what you are getting. As for cheap twist drills that unwind when you use them !

I needed a new Bosch multitool plunge cut blade since mine was just getting hot when cutting wood. I had not got round to ordering some spare ones and I needed one for floorb oards, so I went to Screwfix. A wide range of prices for official Bosch plu nge blades from about 9 quid to 21 quid (ouch). I got one of the cheapest " softwood" blades since it was expensive enough as it was. Others were marke d (hardwood / metal etc). But I did notice the one I got had a wider kerf / more offset in the teeth than my original blade. The original blade I got with the multitool was a g eneral purpose blade and was more like a hacksaw, which I wondered might ac tually be less efficient for timber. I've not used the new blade yet as it happens.

One other thing I've found - if you angle the blade slightly from one side to the other so a corner of the blade is leading the cut, it seems to be do ne faster with less heat generated.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

item257ac218d8

g. As for cheap twist drills that unwind when you use them !

ng hot when cutting wood.

rboards, so I went to Screwfix. A wide range of prices for official Bosch p lunge blades from about 9 quid to 21 quid (ouch). I got one of the cheapest "softwood" blades since it was expensive enough as it was. Others were mar ked (hardwood / metal etc).

h than my original blade. The original blade I got with the multitool was a general purpose blade and was more like a hacksaw, which I wondered might actually be less efficient for timber.

e to the other so a corner of the blade is leading the cut, it seems to be done faster with less heat generated.

I like the look of this pack:

59

By the way, what are "bi-metal" blades best for ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Hi,

I could be wring but I think the bimetal ones can cut soft metals (e.g. copper pipe) whereas the "other type", i.e. not bi metal ones, only cut wood.

I remember a post here saying the bimetal blades would not cut hard metals, such as nails, which is why I asked about this brand on ebay and whether they were different or whether it was just a brand name.

I've only ever cut a copper pipe once, and I remember thinking it was not a neat or quick cut but perhaps my blade was blunt or technique was wrong. I remember thinking I would use a reciprocating saw next time! But mainly I use the blades to cut wood.

TIA

Reply to
Fred

They're mostly tough, so bend some without breaking, but have a hard edge for good cutting. The tooth form will determine what it's good for.

Reply to
Rob Morley

The small scale fast reciprocating action is no use if the thing being cut is able to vibrate - I wonder if that was happening with the copper pipe. That is why they use a medical variant of the tool for cutting off plaster casts - it does not cut skin, just wobbles it ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Have you tried a multitool on your skin? I had occasion to, was quite relieved it had that property.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

casts - it does not cut skin, just wobbles it ! <

Indeed, the medical blades are circular and attached to what looks just lik e an electric drill. Terrifying for a patient about to have their plaster r emoved using one if you don't tell them it simply vibrates. In practice pla ster pots have lots of padding underneath so not too much risk of getting n ear the skin.

I've tried my Bosch multitool on my flesh and was unharmed - not so sure I' d want to try it on any boney bits like my shins!!!

Reply to
Murmansk