Our Guys in Houston

Anybody know how Swingman or Leon faired in the hurricane ? I believe there are several other folks on the list from that area.

They both dropped off the grid some time on Saturday.

It appears that power is problematic in parts of Houston and Galveston is a mess/disaster.

There is a LOT of very unfortunate folks in that area right now.

Reply to
Pat Barber

I believe them to be OK. Swing weighed in [via generator] shortly after the big event and allowed as how he had finally gotten hold of Leon. It could be that neither has yet to get their power back on or that both are helping with cleanup and repairs for friends and/or kids and relatives. As for myself, power is back on here in NW Houston since Tuesday evening. My loses amount to a single limb of any consequence which missed the house and the back cedar fence which is 18+ years old anyway and about to fall down on it's own.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Last I heard they were getting sloshed. Something about the cordless DeWalt Margarita maker. :-) jo4hn

Oh well, fire season will be with us soon. Spasm.

Reply to
jo4hn

Leon and my respective families fared well, but Leon's home was still out of power yesterday ... ours is up and running now. I think a couple of the others from Houston who post here managed to get out of Dodge before Ike.

To say the least ... power outages are to be expected when the preponderance of the infrastructure is above ground. Too damn bad local politics and a false economy keep that "duh" factor intact in a hurricane prone area.

Galveston and surrounding counties are pretty much a mess, but have always been after hurricanes ... nothing new there, just too many relatively new folks to the Texas Gulf Coast, with no historical perspective and a propensity for a quick buck, who can't seem to understand that there are some places on earth that have no business being populated.

Nonetheless, our sympathy is with them ... a few years back our house flooded in a tropical storm due to area subsidence and poor building practices on adjacent lots, so we know the feeling ... it's a monumental inconvenience that's tougher on the older/poorer citizens. Thank goodness we've had a cool spell this week ... when the weather turns back to it's usual seasonal, tropical, hot, humid self, the suffering will get worse.

I managed to get my generator into the hands of someone who needs it, we've already distributed the ice we managed to keep from melting with the generator, and the only thing to do is to wait for "business as usual" to come back ... it always does.

ITMT, I've used a chain saw more in the last three days than in the last 30 ... no matter how old you get, there is someone older who can no longer help themselves. That's OK ... I needed the exercise, and there is a ton of pecan wood around that's going to make some good BBQ in the coming months.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Reply to
Swingman

"jo4hn" wrote

LOL ... a capital idea, BTW. Hope some enterprising individual runs with it! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

They have:

Nova

PERFECT. Thank you very much! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Is pecan good for turning?

Glad you are doing well. I am sure that your neighbors are glad that you are so active and helpful as well.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Swingman" wrote

Then there are these old faorites.

etc., there is a lot of them out there.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

This is a pretty telling pictorial (amongst a lot of pretty telling pictorials):

The one of the beachfront at Gilcrest is particularly telling.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Glad you boys/girls(all of you) are back and fairly well. I'm in hurricane country(SE NC) and we have seen our fair share of that sort of misery.

People that live near the water never seem to accept the power of nature.

Sw> Leon and my respective families fared well, but Leon's home was still out of

Reply to
Pat Barber

As long as the fed's are willing to underwrite insurance for housing built on barrier islands, people will continue to live on them.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Minimal Impact on your being, I hope.

Best wishes.

Reply to
Bored Borg

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Many of these homes you see in the pictures of devastation on Bolivar/Rollover Pass and Galveston's West end are also in the "vacation home", or "second home", category.

Saddest is those of this category that have been turned, by dreams, into permanent (no pun intended), primary residence "retirement homes" by unwary transplants to the area who have never been exposed to the fury of a hurricane.

It's the latter who do elicit most of that smidge of sympathy that can be generated for the foolish who have no respect for the power of Mother Nature. In any case, they are all, regardless of lack of judgment, in need of help and no effort should be spared in that regard. But, and after the dust/water settles, and were they my kids, I'd smack the crap out of them.

My homeowner's insurance premiums in the years to come will be covering said foolishness, like it or not.

Reply to
Swingman

Now you went and did it.

Just when you were on the verge of passing yourself as a true hard ass, you go and show us what a softie you really are.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

No need for something new. The cordless drill with suitable attachments like the beaters from a mixer should be able to handle your Margarita needs. I'm guessing in the middle of a flood there isn't much to do except to sit around and drink alcohol before it floats away.

Reply to
Upscale

I doubt if the drill and a beater will make much of an outboard either HEHE I agree it'd be best to use the batteries before they go dead for mixing drinks :) CC

Reply to
CC