OT: Okra question. Swingman?

------------------------------------ When a chicken lays an egg, the shell is sealed by a coating similar to cooking oil.

During the cleaning and candling process this coating gets removed thus removing the natural protection of the shell.

Common trick for sailors, including myself, is to buy eggs from the farm if possible, then coat shells with cooking oil and store onboard in a cool place, turning eggs end for end every 2-3 days.

Have kept eggs this way for about 6 weeks with no problems.

Probably could have kept them longer, but the cruise was over.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If you don't wash the eggs they will keep a very long time, I know I have kept eggs for

2 months but they would probably keep longer. Usually if I have any that make it to three weeks or more I feed them to the dogs.

Eggs are sterile when the are laid(at least on the inside) and if they are not damaged or washed, will simply eventually dry out on the inside without ever rottening.

Chickens can and do eat anything, I had a couple of 4x8 sheets of blue foam board stored at the barn and the next time I saw them the only thing left was the thin plastic skin that is on either side. So much for organic farm raised eggs and chickens.

Reply to
basilisk

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 06:43:18 -0600, the infamous "basilisk" scrawled the following:

OK.

Interesting. That's fertilized eggs which were allowed to get cool, right?

I'm surprised you guys didn't get sick from the styrene in the foam. The blueboard is true styrofoam.

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That blue, dense stuff carves up nicely on a cnc.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z35g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

A piece of nichrome wire and a cheap power supply does a great job too.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

snipped-for-privacy@z35g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

It is an inert material that will pass through with no problem, no sickness. I have no idea what you mean by "true styrofoam" though. The word "Styrofoam" is the copyrighted brand name for extruded styrene plastic board. GP makes the same stuff in yellow, OC makes it in pink. It is the same material chemically that is used in coffee cups, the foam clamshells for take out food, and ice chests.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 22:00:37 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Ain't that swarf a dream to work with?

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There's a guy here in Des Moines who managed to combine the two. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

snipped-for-privacy@z35g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

So does a heat gun and a knife.

Reply to
Robatoy

Morris Dovey wrote in news:hmoil5$kks$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

CNC nichrome? Hey, we could make toast with special images in it!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b7g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

A rasp would do a good job of rough carving. Then a blowtorch could be daintially applied to carefully melt the foam in to a smooth surface. (You know, like they do with Ice Sculpting.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

snipped-for-privacy@b7g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

helluva mess

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i25g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

True, but it would do a good job of it. (The blowtorch was just thrown in for effect.) The melting foam might not be so good for your lungs, either.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Then sell them on eBay...

Reply to
Doug Miller

My minds eye is working on that - top carries the power and the the table holds the sheet by the edges only! - the ground is below and the bottom stretching weight is connected to a very flexible ground strap that runs to the Nichrome return. Tricky at best since the sheet has to be held and maintained up to the end of the cut.

Maybe human puts in slats to hold up sagging sections once cut.

Mart> Morris Dovey wrote in news:hmoil5$kks$1

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Try a Google search on 'cnc nichrome' and then click on 'Images' at the top of the page. Folks are cutting everything from airfoils to Statue of Liberty mineatures.

I'm not sure I should have looked. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I did. . . . . DAMMIT!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

Been done for donkey's years. I've got a hand held cutter in the garage.

Reply to
LDosser

On 04 Mar 2010 21:50:58 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper scrawled the following:

What, cheap knockoffs: The Toast of Turin?

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"basilisk" wrote I roast okra too, only I coat it in olive oil, salt and pepper. in the oven at 400 for about 30 minutes. Concentrates the flavor and not near as slick as boiled.

Thanks to Robatoy, I just finished some along with a pork steak and cooked down and fried squash.

basilsik

-----

Oh m'gosh that sounds good!

I love Okra all kinds of ways, pickled, in soup & stews, fried, breaded and fried, raw when it's young and tender..

Once the garden is up and running this year, I'm going to give this a try. You can cook asparagus like that too,. Get a big enough baking dish so you can spread it out in a single layer, coat with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and roast for about 30 min @ 375. It's the best! Especially when the little tips get just a bit of crunch on them.

Man, now I really want some for dinner.

Reply to
Kate