OT Now this is customer service

Stop it, your killing me...

Reply to
Jack Stein

That's the only way a cat can be managed. Cats have no masters.

Max

Reply to
Max

The whole area around Brenham is beautiful. I would move out there in a heartbeat if I could.

Reply to
Steve Turner

My wife works in a private long term care facility here in Toronto, but she is not an employee of the place. It is unionized and the permanent staff are lazy and stick to the union rules etc. My wife works for a private agency and spends upwards of 10 hours a day four days a week with an elderly lady making sure she gets the care she needs and deserves. God know what it costs that lady per month, as she must of course pay for the place and their staff, plus my wife and whatever the agency charges for her services.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Two of the prettiest drives in Texas,

105 East from Brenham to Navasota.

36 North from Brenham up to Abilene.

The latter goes through towns like Hamilton, where the main street on a Saturday morning looks like something out of a 40's movie. And, speaking of movies, I think there is still an old time working Drive-in movie on

36 outside of Gatesville.
Reply to
Swingman

Trying to manage a cat with fear just results in the cat managing back in kind or moving out, depending on how cussed the particular cat is.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Possibly, Leon. But Sasakatoon is a small city, about 240,000, and as I am connected into the gardening/horticulture community this can hurt them.

In any event, I have my choice of employers right now.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 12:28:18 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Always a good position to be in. With any luck, one of them will lead to that "lifetime job", if that's how you're so inclined.

Reply to
Dave

Not at this point in my life. Was let go after 17 years with a newspaper publisher back in January. From here on in, my loyalty is only to me. Working on building my own income.

I've landed a part time gig with Canadian Wookworker, 20 hours a week or so, retail sales to the high end hobbyist and medium sized shop. Start Thursday. We'll see how it goes. I've got a contract with the provincial returning officer coming up in September - November for the election here, and am talking to Canada Post this week about some other possibilities.

In the mean time, I just finished a stain matching gig for a couple renooberating their home for sale, and will deliver an oak bookcase to a client next weekend, again the stain matching...

So while the severance has just about run out, things are looking up!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Hell, a "lifetime job" to me means doing what you like to do and gaining a comfortable living from it. If it's building your own income doing something you like, then I think that qualifies.

Reply to
Dave

Good on you, Dave ... Last time I had a company job, one that I wasn't a full partner in, was 47 years ago. Makes life interesting. I'm sure you'll do just fine ... all it takes is a healthy measure of try.

Reply to
Swingman

No argument here!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

It hasn't been easy, and I know it won't be easy going forward, but at least I know I don't have to ask permission any more.

It's been weird, having to define myself rather than letting the job define me. Definitely takes getting used to, but so far I like it.

And the worst possible thing that could happen? We'd have to sell the house and take our equity as cash!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I also informed him that I was armed.

Why? Was that an implied threat? In NYS, that could get your permit yanked. I have a NYS CCW, but I don't advertise that I have a weapon, unless I have to use it. (retired 38 year LEO).

Reply to
willshak

Un-Retired 57 year VIRGO. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

New York is a "discretionary" permit state. The sheriff or judge or whoever issues the permit can yank it for ANY reason, or none at all.

The statutes for suspending or revoking a concealed handgun license in Texas are not vast: Convicted of a felony or a non-trivial misdemeanor, displaying a firearm, and a couple of other obvious conditions. Merely saying "Stand back! I have a potato" is insufficient.

Must suck to live in New York.

P.S. As a retired LEO, you don't NEED a NYS permit to carry a concealed firearm. Federal law preempts that requirement.

HeyBub

---------------------------- First mistake was using a debit card.

Use a credit (Visa\Mastercard).

If there is a problem, book a debit and let the banks fight it out on THEIR time and nickle.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There's a gotcha in that one though, you have to have within the past 12 months qualified at your own expense to the state's standards. Doesn't say which state (is it the one in which you were a cop, the one in which you are living as a retiree, or the one in which you are in possession of the weapon), and doesn't provide that the state has to make the training accessible to retirees at reasonable cost.

Reply to
J. Clarke