Cleaning printer toner from a bed spread

I picked up my HP printer from a repair shop and placed it on a bed before reinstalling it. When I picked the printer up from the bed, I noticed that some toner had somehow managed to get onto the bedspread.

I was able to use a small vacuum to get much of the toner off; but some still remains. Is that something that a professional dry cleaner can remove, is there a home remedy I can use, or is the bedspread hopelessly stained?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Mark

I wonder if "Ink Away" would help--it does wonders on ink and permanent marker marks!! You may have to do it several times-and it does NOT do anything to the color of the item! If your spread is white or the area where the stain is white or off-white, "Mary Ellen's Set-In Stain Remover for Whites" would be good-I've used a small paint brush on small areas. She also has the same product for colors--I have only found it at JoAnn's Fabric Stores. I have only found "ink-Away" at Ben Franklin" or on the net!

Best of luck to you!! Sijka

Reply to
sijka

I did a quick google search and found this: To remove ink from fabric:

IMMEDIATELY rinse the stained area with cold water.The water must be COLD as hot water will set the ink into the fabric. After rinsing off as much as you can immediately wash in cold water, washing powder and oxygen bleach. If the fabric is not colour fast add Ammonia or Cloudy Ammonia instead of bleach to the wash.

Here is a safety tip - do not mix Ammonia and Bleach, it makes a poison gas.

To remove ink from hands:

Wash hands with an abrasive (gritty) soap, such as Solvol. If you are game powder washing detergent is quite effective.

Some inks come off better than others. There are 2 types of ink - dye based ink and pigment based ink.

Generally speaking ALL coloured inks are dye based; Hewlett Packard black and Lexmark black inks are generally pigment based; Canon blacks are generally dye based.

Dye based inks will come off a lot more easily than pigment based inks. There is nothing you do differently to get off a pigment based ink just don't feel bad if you dont get it all off. What helps to get the residue off is washing the dishes or cleaning the shower. Make sure you get the credit for housework of course!!

To remove ink from desk tops and other hard surfaces:

Spray and Wipe or similar works fine. Use plenty of water, the water unlocks the stain.

To remove toner from clothing:

Firstly - SHAKE off the excess. DO NOT RUB as this friction can cause the toner to set further into the fabric. Otherwise the washing instructions are the same as for ink.

To remove toner from your hands:

Wash hands with an abrasive (gritty) soap, such as Solvol. If you are game powder washing detergent is quite effective.

To remove a toner spill from carpet:

Sweep up excess toner into a dustpan - GENTLY. Then vacuum, however DONT USE A "DUSTBUSTER". Dustbuster type appliances don't have a filter, so all you will do is take the toner off the carpet and blow it into the air. If your vacuum cleaner does not have much in the way of a dustbag then before vacuuming up the toner vacuum up some tissues. This lines the dustbag and contains the toner in the dustbag. Remember to empty the dustbag carefully straight away.

Is toner or ink toxic?

Ink is mostly vegetable dye based, with the pigment usually being very fine plastic. Laser toner is mostly ground up black plastic with fine iron filings, silica and wax.

These items are not poisonous but should substantial ingestion occur contact your local Poison service to be sure. Contact with the skin or breathing small quantities is not usually harmful however anyone with a health complaint should check with their Doctor as soon as possible. Please read our disclaimer regarding the advice we give.

There are no legal restrictions on the disposal of toner or ink, disposing in the rubbish bin is acceptable.

Vox Humana

Call a professional cleaner. Ask them what they would use. Ask them to give you some for free. Ask them to talk you through the process, step by step. Hire a neighborhood teenager to do it for you.

OH WAIT! I'VE TURNED INTO NAN!

Reply to
570-622-6441