OT: Neither run Norwalk.

Goodness gracious, what a weekend. Thursday my dad was called by the hospital and told he couldn't go see my mother because the unit was shut to visitors due to a Norwalk outbreak. Norwalk is a very powerful gastrointestinal virus with a short half-life. It can kill weak people. Violent hurling and dumping sessions are the symptoms. Nasty. Anyway, my dad had visited my mom the night before and had kissed good- night, as I had a couple of hours later. Friday LifeLine called that there had been a trigger at my dad's house, so Angela and I went over there and you won't believe what we walked in on... what a mess. He was barely breathing, so 911 brought us an ambulance. Then for the clean-up, Ang & I were gloved and all that but, some airborne got to us. (Btw, I refer to her as Ang as SWMBO, wife and SO all seem so impersonal.) Saturday morning we decided Ang got the upstairs bathrooms, and I got the 'Bog' in the basement. I would have gladly paid somebody to shoot me on a few occasions. We're all over the hump now and feeling much better, but I missed a performance by Tafelmusiek, that really pissed me off.

PS, I lost 7.5 pounds in 2 days. Now I need to replenish..lemme see here a Filet Mignon, bottle of Drambuie, a whole New York cheese-cake?

Naaaa...

Robatoy

Hope Dad does OK. My wife caught it the week before Christmas. She has CHF to boot. Six days in the hospital and she still is not fully recovered. I've been lucky so far but I can relate to your story.

At least three people at work have also had it as well as others in their households. Nasty is not a nasty enough word for it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Been there, ran that, just after Christmas. Must be all over S.Ont. I figgered I got mine from a Tim's in Kingston on the way back from Quebec, where the staff seemed less "trained" than usual. It sure ain't pleasant. Mom also had a bout in her nursing home, but she's a tough old bat and survived. A couple of the less sturdy didn't make it. I actually pulled a muscle in my side worshipping at the porcelain throne. Hope you and Ang are felling better; took me and Jen the better part of a week to get back to what I'd call normal. Not something I'd wish on my worst enemy.

Your innards will thank you if you go easy for a couple of days :-) I did manage a shot or two of single malt, but sure as hell no cheese-cake or steak.

P.S. the weight comes back :(

Reply to
Doug Payne

Hey. We need more Robatoys in this world, not less. You and SWMBO take care of yourselves. Hear?! mahalo and bless, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

The hospital here was closed to visitors recently for about 10 days. 70 people were sick.

We had two people at work with it, but it hasn't spread. Lots of bottles of hand antiseptic are in view around the building.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Had the equivalent on just about every continent I've ever set foot on, so know the feeling. Last time, about ten years ago from eating raw Texas oysters, I was convinced that I _had_ been gutshot.

Y'all take care of yourselves, now!

Reply to
Swingman

Even at out advanced age, we can still get into trouble from kissing!! ( Mom was right)

Be careful with that kind of talk. Somebody may just take you up on it!

Are you really wasting away?? Anorexic? I don't think so. Besides, this was so much cheaper than a fat farm!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Wasting away? I don't think so. I'm only 20 pounds away from my 'perfect' weight. That may seem like a lot, but everything is relative. I topped out at

283 just over 2 years ago. Lost 70+, nice and slow. But those damned holidays and I love to play with food (in the kitchen) The whole food-thing is such a social thing with us..daughters roll into town..we eat. A small victory here or there.. we celebrate...with food. We feel a bit down...a quick one-hour drive to The Mandarin in London. In fact, we like food so much, we eat every day!

And after The Superbowl, I'll never eat another Snicker's bar again.

Fat Farm? I am married to a FatFarm Drill Sergeant. Ang runs a Stroke Clinic here in town, she's always on my ass about my food... for all the right reasons.

Robatoy

May a sick camel pay a visit to your shop.

The only thing that can be consumed with Drambuie is Scotch.

How dare you contaminate it with food.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A rusty nail is a good thing, indeed. Next try a silver nail - better yet.

(wipes small drool from lips)

Reply to
Tom B

And what, pray tell, is a silver nail?

Quite a while ago me and a buddy made up a platinum nail - Lochan Ora and Royal Salute.

Reply to
George Shouse

"Swingman" wrote in news:O8adnbo1TqUc7VrYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I had some of those oysters on a business trip to Dallas about that time. Even in a very nice hotel, I was really miserable. And I still had to do the meetings by telephone.

Could have done that from home in California, and not gotten sick!

Take care of everyone, Rob!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Somehow, raw oysters in Dallas leave something to be desired.

BBQ is one thing, but raw oysters?????????????

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Dallas has Mountain Oysters. I don't want to think about eating those raw. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

LOL..You know you're tough when......

Goodgawd...just the thought. This came out of the oven the other day and I had to take a picture..I KNEW this was just pork tenderloin, but still..LOL

Robatoy

What's wrong with using Tanqueray with tonic? Granted, it's not bottom of the barrel, but it's not *that* good. I like Bombay Sapphire, myself- but even then, it gets a little shot of dry vermouth (yeah, I know- but I *like* the old style martinis)

That's when I have any time to drink, of course- and truth be told, on the fairly rare occasions when I do drink, I usually go for red wine (Yellowtail Merlot- the finest $7 bottle of wine around) or beer (but no more "Sneaky Pete"s after the last time I was foolish enough to drink both in the same night).

Reply to
Prometheus

Whadddaya mean??! ... they're flown in fresh daily from Amarillo!

Reply to
Swingman

Yea... an ol' fashioned martini is pretty good. What they are calling 'martinis' now-a-days is just silly. Cumquat/Passion Fruit, OilofOlay Martini...say what? Call it PUNCH, people...P U N C H. Friend of mine makes 'Turkeyhattans'. Wild Turkey (high test) with a splash of sweet vermouth. But be careful! Stuff makes you turn gay and steal cars... so I'm told.

We love Yellowtail Merlot. What a bargain! That's what we have when we have wine. Grolsch is the only beer I buy on a semi-regular basis. I do experiment with the odd strange pint of imports. A close friend and I get together, once a month, and try out a few beers. Them Brits whip up some wicked beers with even sillier names. Bishop's Finger?

Reply to
Robatoy

Do they make you talk funny after you eat them?

(I know, I know...bad helium joke.)

*hangs head in shame...retreats*
Reply to
Robatoy

[...]

Hey, Rob, look on the bright side: nobody can accuse you of being full of s**t any more...

Reply to
Doug Miller