OT: Need Laminate Help

I had a piece of laminate pull apart from a counter top. It is an island counter that has a curved edge. I bought a laminate trimmer today (Bosch) and realized that I will not be able to get the region where it curves with the trimmer. How do I do this ?

Picture:

in advance

Brian

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

The left edge is what I am referring too that is difficult. The top will be easy.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Looks like you could trim most of it from the bottom edge, (the convex side).

Reply to
Upscale

You take off as much as the laminate trimmer will let you, then use a laminate file (a mill ) till you get there. It is surprisingly quick.

Reply to
Robatoy

What is a laminate file? Would I find one at Home Depot? I have a bastard file and that's it for files.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

What is a laminate file? Would I find one at Home Depot? I have a bastard file and that's it for files.

----------------------------- I use a 10" flat bastard.

Works for me.

Others may like a mill bastard, I find them too fine.

Enjoy.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

In news: snipped-for-privacy@n15g2000yqf.googlegroups.com, Robatoy spewed forth:

Reply to
ChairMan

For those tight areas, I start with a flat bastard file, but finish with a 8" mill bastard.

Get the Nicholson brand files and they will cut your laminate easily.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

On Tue, 4 May 2010 14:43:29 -0700 (PDT), GarageWoodworks wrote the following:

You go as far as possible with the trimmer and use a file for the rest of it. VERY carefully, Brian. I use black tape on the countertop. It resists the file a bit more than masking tape.

Hmm, if you can't get a trimmer in there, how do you get a file? OK, reset to new answer: Get out your dremel and be very careful with it from the countertop side. If you're really good, use your Bosch vertically.

That's my SWAG and I'm stickin' to it.

-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

...the one's I buy at the cabinet supply are course on one side and fine on the other...Lew's right, tho, if you have nothing else, just sneak-up on it...done it several times...

cg

Reply to
Chasgroh

File.

Reply to
dadiOH

Ok. Thanks everyone. The file did the trick in the areas I couldn't get with the laminate trimmer. This was my first re-lamination job on a counter top. I must have had the flush trim bit extended to far because with the right light I can see where the bit tapped into the lamination (top) that I was referencing off of. Next time I think I will tape off the region the bearing rides on to prevent this in the future ?. Not sure where I went wrong other than bit being extended to far. If it were wood, I'd just sand the sucker.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks