Laminate Counter Top Question

I want to build a counter top using a laminate covering. Once I cut out the wood in the dimension that I need for the top, I want to cover it with laminate but have never done this before. What is the best approach for sizing, applying and trimming the laminate? Should I cut it oversized and use a tool to trim it? What's the best way to apply the side piece so that I get a nice edge? Is a router the correct tool for doing the trimming?

Do I apply the top piece, trim it to size, then apply the side piece? If that is the right sequence, how do I control the butt joint between the too pieces of laminate?

I also would like pointers on how to layout the dimension for a curved edge for one corner of the counter top. That is, the overall shape of the counter top is rectangular with one of the four corners curved.

Can anyone recommend a good book that would cover the processes I need to use for this project?

philly45

Reply to
philly45

Generally you put the side on, trim it flush, then put on the top. This covers the side joint. The only decion then is whether yiu want a bevel edge or a flush edge

Reply to
Greg

Thanks Greg. Is a router the right tool for the trimming? What bit type should I consider?

Reply to
philly45

Reply to
BobGramza

Thanks Bob for the help.

Reply to
philly45

I clicked on the link and get four blank gray pages?

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

A couple of tips -(DAMHIKIT) Be super careful to remove all dust, etc from both the counter surface and the back side of the laminate before applying cotact cement, and check again before mating the surfaces. Even the smallest of pieces will telegraph through the laminate when it's pressed down Also, don't use the water-based contact cement. While it doesn't have the fumes of the solvent based, it also doesn't seem to have the long term holding power. My counter tops started to de-laminate after about 4-5 years. Could just be my application method, but I wouldn't risk it again.

Ron

Reply to
Rkola

Nothing wrong with the water based contact cement. I suspect "operator error". I've used it for more than 10 years and 100's of tops with zero problems. I believe it is a superior product if used correctly.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for the input - I only used it the one time, and it held up fine for several years. Not sure what I might have done wrong, except I used only one coat on the plywood substrate. Maybe a second coat, to allow for some absorbtion? The delamination is pretty random, but all on edges.

Ron

Reply to
Rkola

Reply to
Ken Johnsen

I know this is O/T, but just what does DAMHIKIT mean?

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Doug Winterburn

Thanks Doug, but......

There is presently no record of DAMHIKIT being used in any high-tech area as an acronym. "How come?"

-- Is it possible that DAMHIKIT is not an acronym? Perhaps DAMHIKIT is the name of a company or a propriety term. Of course, it's possible we just haven't caught-up with the geek on this one as yet. :-(

However, the hightechbuzzwords.com crew will, specifically, investigate DAMHIKIT in the very near future. Another high-tech acronym or abbreviation search?

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Crap! Totally my mistake. As the refs say coming back from an instant replay, upon further review.... DAMHIKT most likely stands for: DAMHIKT = don't ask me how i know this (im) The acronym in the (parentheses) points to what, or to which high-tech area, DAMHIKT is associated with. "It doesn't seem right!" Color me red!!! Now, if I would just learn how to read, and then correctly spell what I just read, my life would be so much better! I guess it's true, copy and paste are your friends! Thanks again.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath