Drilling hole in granite counter top

I need to drill several holes in some granite and marble counter tops and tiles to install plumbing fixtures. I've searched the 'net and most suggestions involve percussion masonry bits or diamond core bits. IMHO, percussion bits are too risky to use in a place where the top may not be supported well enough to prevent cracking. The diamond core bits techniques that I found involve using a drill press - hard to do with the countertop still on the cabinet ;-)

If you have any slick techniques for safely drilling a 1" or so hole in a granite countertop by hand, I'd be interested in hearing it. Failing that...

Many moons ago, I ran in to a tile man who showed me a tool he had that looked a lot like a small handheld angle grinder. It had a lot of diffent attachments for cutting and polishing natural stone tiles and could be used in wet or dry mode. It also had core bits and was intended to drill holes free-handed. The guy remaked that it was a lifesaver for working with granite/marble and did a good job drilling holes.

Problem is, I can't find the guy now to get him to drill the hole and can figure out who made the tool in order to try and rent or buy one.

Anybody got any ideas on who makes such a tool?

Thanks for your help

P.S. To reach my real e-mail, take off the underscore and the 3 numbers in the user name.

Reply to
Rob Patrick

When they installed my granite counter top, they used a diamond core drill and an electric hand drill. They used a board with a hole in it the same size as the core drill as a guide to get it started straight and sprayed water from a hand spray bottle while drilling, worked great.

-- "Shut up and keep diggen" Jerry

Reply to
Micro*

snipped

Call a professional. My brother tried this, new counter tops were the order afterwards. The could not match what was installed. He asked me for my carbide bits and a drill. I suggested a professional and he did it himself. I would not even cut holes in my solid surface corian clone. I got the guys that installed it to come back.

The cost will be worth it in my opinion. Unless of course your looking for a reason to remodel..... humor intended

Reply to
SQLit

Picked up one of diamond core bits at Building Box (Canada). Haven't seen them in HD. Coast $30CDN for a 1" bit. Came with a guide for getting the hole started.

It went through 3/8" porcelain tile like butter. The same tile that ate masonry bits like candy.

RS

Reply to
Rob S