Drilling a Hole in Hardieplank

What drill bit do I use to drill a small hole in Hardieplank? A masonry bit does not work.

Reply to
mcp6453

I used, abused and ruined a couple of regular HS steel bits making a few new nailing holes. They work but you will only get a few holes each.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Sure they do.

Maybe you might get a better reply if you describe why the masonry bit doesn't work for you.

Reply to
George

I tried to drill a hole in the siding to mount a flag pole holder. Since the siding is cement board, it seemed to me that a masonry bit would be a good way to drill the hole. Therefore, I grabbed a 1/8" masonry bit, inserted it into the chuck of my trusty drill, and commenced to try to drill the hole. Unfortunately, even though the bit was turning and was in full contact with the siding, the hole did not appear. Even though I pushed harder, the bit did not drill a hole in the siding.

While masonry bits may work for every other person who uses one to drill a hole in Hardieplank, in this particular case, even though I followed normal operating procedure for drilling a hole, the procedure did not result in a hole. The drill was a standard rotary drill, not a hammer drill. The masonry bit was not carbide tipped.

Does that help?

Reply to
mcp6453

Was this bit some big box "special deal"? Never saw a masonry bit that didn't have a carbide insert. But even a good quality twist drill will make a hole in hardieplank.

Reply to
George

Are you sure the drill was rotating in the cutting direction?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Masonry bits work fine, can't imagine the difficulty. Hole saws and twist bits work, but will dull quickly. Carbide burr in a Rotozip type tool work well.

Reply to
DanG

The drill

Are you sure the drill was rotating in the cutting direction?

Yep, it's easily done. No matter how ludicrous it sounds check the drill.

Reply to
C & E

Are you sure the drill was rotating in the cutting direction?

+++++++++

LOL....my first thought.

Reply to
Master Betty

Give they guy a break fellas. I burnt up two bits because my tapcon masonry was already fried and I need the job done before it rained.

Reply to
Colbyt

My thoughts exactly :-/ Don't ask me how I know! BTDT

Reply to
Oren

As does a diamond burr in a Dremel. Also works well for drilling holes in ceramic tile. And the diamond drill set at HF is cheap and good.

KC

Reply to
KC

If the drill is turning the right direction, then the bit is dull/shot. Without being carbide tipped, they don't last long, especially if it's used without water to keep it cool and/or run at high speed and overheated it.

Reply to
Tony

There was another guy, in another group, that asked: How do I drill a square hole?

And he was serious.

Reply to
Master Betty

Why not?

Oren

Yeah...I've heard of such a thing. Not readily available. In this case a metal punch was more appropriate.

Reply to
Master Betty

I found that in order to drill pilot holes in fiber cement lap siding for hand nailing I found that Harbor Freight (not typically a fan of HF) has a wall with throw away titanium bit packages that each contain a number of same size bits. Example: I found with my galvanized ring shank siding nails, a 3/32" bit works best. Do not go all the way into the stud. Let the nail or screw do that. They last as long as better quality bits - I could buy a package of 7 bits for $1.99. I swear they last as long as bits costing three or four times as much. After 10 to 15 holes each bit is worn out. Throw it away and put in a fresh cheap bit! Do not over think this. Just throw the bit away! I have experimented with all kinds of methods, but I feel so much more productive . The nails go right in and then tap to flush tight, do not embed the nail.

Reply to
SteveAustin