General International 6" Jointer

I am looking at buying the General International 6" Jointer 80-100LMI. It has a 55 " table and 1 hp motor. Can anyone that has one of these give me any feedback on it? The other one I was looking at was the Delta 6" 37-190

Thanks

Ray

Reply to
Roy Warren

JGS

If you are located in the Southeastern US, I have a used Delta DJ15 available. Much better than either of the ones you mentioned.

The only thing wrong with it was I happened on to a DJ20 that I couldn't pass up.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Rod, check yer email. M-

Reply to
Michael Baglio

Hi Roy, I just bought this jointer a month ago. I did a little research first and thought this was the best "bang for my buck". These tools are very popular up here in Canada and this jointer always gets good reviews in the Canadian Forum I read. So far the tool has performed very well but I did have two minor complaints. First, the manual is lousy. Assembly instructions are terrible. I hadn't set one up before so it was a little bit frustrating but I managed. For someone who has set one of these up before, it probably isn't a problem. My other complaint was the finish on the bed extensions. I couldn't get them to clean up nicely. I emailed General and they phoned me within a week. The service was EXCELLENT. I talked to a guy (Western Regional Manager or something) for 20 minutes. He was very helpful. He told me they are working on improving there manuals and gave me some tips on cleaning up the extensions. He said if I still wasn't happy with them, to give him a call back and he would ship out a new set. That phone call alone will make me consider General products on my future tool purchases.

Reply to
BeerBoy

Tips on cleaning ? Would you care to share this info ?

Thanks, Daniel

Reply to
D. Martin

I can tell you one without even knowing the tool or the company; many companies protect their tools, especially cast iron, for shipment with a thick grease, commonly referred to as cosmoline. I'm sure that's a brand name (probably a Sanskrit word which means "thick grease") and has probably lost its trademark protection due to common usage.

Anyway, you'll hear people talk about everything from WD-40 to gasoline to clean it up; some somewhat effectively, others nearly worthless.

But the absolute best solvent with the least risk for either damage to the tool or injury to the cleaner is kerosene. Now there is old fashioned kerosene, there's diesel fuel, there's jet-A from the airport, and there's de-odorized lamp oil, so there are all sorts of sources (check the borg for regulation kerosene in pint cans in the mineral spirits/turpentine/MEK department).

Trust me on this. It works great.

By the way, I don't know why people get excited about WD-40 - it has lots of uses, but I think the only way it cuts cosmoline is primarily because of the abrasive quality of the rag used to apply it.

Mineral spirits isn't much better.

Lacquer thinner/acetone/xylol are all far too agressive and can eat paint off your shiny new tool.

Gasoline is stupid.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I second that! Kerosene is great stuff to have on hand. It's also good as a cutting lube, general degreaser, and it heats my shop. I buy it for $1.50 a gallon at local gas stations.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Reply to
BeerBoy

I used naphta and it worked very well. This is the fuel used for camping equipement.

D.Martin

Reply to
D. Martin

Hi Roy;

I just got mine a few weeks ago at the local woodworking show. Mine was assembled and I got a reduced price due to the fact it was used for the three days of the show by a local woodworking class who were demonstrating the equipment for the seller. Nice thing was, not only was it set up and aligned but test operated to ensure it gave a good account of itself at the show.

My one complaint was that the (soft) screw used to stop the fence against (for right angle) bent when I tightened it, after realigning the fence angle. Nevertheless I am getting good 90's and the jointer is quiet and low in vibration. I haven't tried to remove and replace the blades yet (and not looking forward to it). The manual is a POS.

Brian

Reply to
Brian in Vancouver, BC