OT:My truck died.

OOps make that if you are shopping for a USED car.

Reply to
Leon

Wed, Dec 28, 2005, 3:01am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (CW) doth claimeth: For the last fifteen years, I have been driving a 1976 Ford F250 pickup. When people would ask "when are you going to buy yourself a new truck", Best I can hope for out of this is I get something that I will be able to drive for as many years as the last one. R.I.P

Nah, you're looking at it all the wrong way. Get a brand new crate engine, for something over a grand, have it installed for a bit more, then you've got a totally reliable truck. And can keep on bugging the people after you to get a new truck. Best of both worlds. Plus you save a bundle.

Looks like my two sons are actually (really) getting ready to finish my "new" truck for me. So hopefully, the new year will see me hauling wood in it. But, for now my '79 GMC, half-ton, long bed, daily driver, will do.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

A good place to do research is

I used
to get a quote from a local dealer. Got a bit below fleet price and bought from that dealer. As long as you can get that quote, it makes life simpler. gaggers, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I've bought 3 vehicles from Carmax, been happy with each one and paid a fair price for each one. I sold one back to them and replaced with it something else, they made it pretty painless and the amount they paid was fair.

The buying transactions were easy too.

We financed one, paid cash and the trade-in for the other 2.

I'd go back and will when I need another vehicle.

John E.

Reply to
John Emmons

That 220 slant 6 was one of the best engines ever built. I had one in an old

73 dodge van. It easily had over 200,000 miles on it when it was retired and sold. Bought it just after high school and used it for everything.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Just passed 100,000 miles on my Tonka Toy.

Freind of mine just drove cross country with his which has over 350,000 on it.

Other than oil and filters changed on a regular basis, the only other items replaced include some rubber, a set of plugs & wires, and new front brakes at 90,000.

When it passes 400,000, will probably sell it and stop driving.

Detroit seems unwilling to build products with that kind of reliability.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I just sold, reluctantly, two cars that I have had since 1979 and

1983. The Toyota with 4-ME straight six and EFI had over 360,000 miles, and the Peugeot had over 480,000 miles.

still ran, just didn't have room. It was like selling a child... (SWMBO wouldn't buy that argument...)

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Gosh. I buy my vehicles from original owners whenever possible... While it may be more difficult to find the "exact" color you want, it cuts out that huge "dealer overhead". But that's just me...

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Well, CW, it is a big club if you'll just look around. Ya gotta believe! Beej

Reply to
Beej-in-GA

On 12/27/2005 10:19 PM Greg O mumbled something about the following:

My geezerglide is my primary transportation as well as for my relaxation. I ride year round to/from work 40 miles each way, so I rack up the miles (about 25,000 a year). Today was a relaxation day, 225 miles going absolutely nowhere (hmmm, don't remember this road, wonder where it goes, ahh, I think I'll take this road, etc). After 6 hrs, I finally found the road heading home.

Reply to
Odinn