OT: music list

Ok, you audiophiles, I just received an iPod shuffle for my annual birth celebration. Of course, now that I'm faced with loading it full of music, I can't come up with what stuff I want in there. I can easily listen to the radio and think "Hey! *That* song definately!", but sitting here in front of the pc, I'm brainlocked. First up is to load the workout folder.

So, what's on your ipod, mp3 etc... that *you* consider a must have?

jc

Reply to
joe

I would have to make you a list every day for at least a month.

This morning it was a whole series of Paganini's caprices. Yesterday was Tom Waits Day. Eagles' new CDs two days ago. Cohen's The Future, Magical Mystery Tour (Penny Lane and such) interspersed with a generous helping of Rubber Soul and Revolver. Gary Moore's Ballads and Blues is always a favourite.... in fact, start with that one. There is always room for John Prine and...Dan Reeder's Work Song is a MUST!

Reply to
Robatoy

Music off of my CD's.

Reply to
Leon

"Robatoy" wrote

Have you seen "Across the Universe" yet?

Watched it with some college kids the other night and was surprised how much my 22 year old daughter "got' it ... then again, she's known every Beatles song by heart since she was six.

Reply to
Swingman

My 14-year old daughter brought a friend over to the house so they could 'hack' her iPod Touch. He walked into my home office and I had no idea I was going to have visitors, so the volume on the stereo was 'up there'. 'Dear Prudence' was playing and he went: ' COOL!! Beatles!" I, of course had to show him my stack of Beatles vinyl. So, one of these days we are going to transcribe the vinyl to MP3's using this little gadget:

a Linn Sondek of course. My mac takes the pre-amp out straight in and doesn't drop a bit in the process.

You already know this, Swing.. but Glenn Miller said it best: "when it sounds good, it is good."

Oh, and another little anecdote... I was playing some old Who.. and one of the cuts was Won't Get Fooled Again... my kid comes storming in wanting to know where I found that incredible song (she's a CSI fan, btw)... I showed her the date on the LP's label.. she laughed and said: "stop doing that to me...LOL"

Good shit then... good shit now.... and THAT is why we still listen to Vivaldi and such.

Reply to
Robatoy

I would have to make you a list every day for at least a month.

This morning it was a whole series of Paganini's caprices. Yesterday was Tom Waits Day. Eagles' new CDs two days ago. Cohen's The Future, Magical Mystery Tour (Penny Lane and such) interspersed with a generous helping of Rubber Soul and Revolver. Gary Moore's Ballads and Blues is always a favourite.... in fact, start with that one. There is always room for John Prine and...Dan Reeder's Work Song is a MUST!

How could I have forgotten Prine. geez......

Gonna go load up an illegal smile

Reply to
joe

Funny how that song used to identify Prine...he is sooo much better now.

Reply to
Robatoy

Here are the the things that are always on my mp3. Others come and go weekly, but this is my basic list. Mostly rock and blues with some classical, opera, jazz, country and R&B. I've got plenty of room, so the list grows all the time.

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black Andrea Bocelli - Amor Kathleen Battle - Mozart: Opera Arias Big Brother and the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills Billy Idol - Greatest Hits Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper Blues Traveler - Blues Traveler Bonnie Raitt - The Best of Bonnie Brad Paisley - Mud On The Tires Bruce Springstein - Magic Buddy Guy - Buddy's Baddest Buddy Guy - Alone and Acoustic Cecilia Bartoli - Chant d'Amour Cecilia Bartoli - The Vivaldi Album Chris Duarte - Texas Sugar Strat Magik Creedence Clearwater Revival - The best of Dan Fogelberg - The Wild Places Danielia Cotton - Small White Town Dave Koz - Saxophonic Diana Krall - The very best of Dire Straits - The best of Elvin Bishop - Struttin' My Stuff Eric Clapton - Slowhand George Thorogood - The best of Guns n' Roses - greatest hits Jeff Healey - Platinum and Gold Sammy Hagar - Unboxed Heart - Heart Heart - Dreamboat Annie Jackson Browne - The Pretender Janis Joplin - Pearl Jethro Tull - Aqualung Jethro Tull - Living In The Past John Lee Hooker - Boom Boom John Lee Hooker - The Best of Johnny Winter - Blues to the Bone Robert Johnson - Complete Recordings Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Ledbetter Heights KT Tunstall - Drastic Fantastic Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight Little Feat - The Best Of Los Lobos - Wolf Tracks Lynyrd Skynyrd - All Time Greatest Hits Macy Gray - The Very Best Of Mario Frangoulis - Sometimes I dream Mark Knopfler - Kill To Get Crimson Mississippi John Hurt - The Complete Studio Recordings Molly Hatchet - Molly Hatchet Muddy Waters - The Anthology Nickelback - Silver Side Up Nirvana - Nevermind The Outlaws - Wanted! Ozzy - The Essential Ozzy Pat Benatar - True Love Pat Benatar - Crimes of Passion Pink Floyd - The Wall Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon R.E.M. - In Time Rush - Moving Pictures Rush - Exit Stage Left Rory Gallagher - Big Guns Robin Trower - Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood Stevie Ray Vaughan - The Sky Is Crying Santana - Abraxas Santana - Santana Santana - Santana III Santana - Supernatural The Staple Singers - Greatest Hits Steely Dan - Aja Steely Dan - The Royal Scam Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream The Doors - The Doors Ted Nugent - Great Gonzos Ted Nugent - Tooth, Fang and Claw Van Halen - Diver Down The Ventures - Walk, Don't Run Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger

Reply to
DS

I only have a Z-pod. It is filled with all of the music by Frank Zappa. All Frank, all the time. ("Not a spec of cereal")

Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

"joe" wrote

Where would you like to start? Out of approximately 200 GB of mp3's, I've only got my favorite 8,066 on my iPod ... basically I just put it on shuffle and let it rip.

Yes, I'm serious! :)

Reply to
Swingman

Well, it's topical to suggest a 'woodworking' playlist with

hammer dulcimer planechant The Carpenters The Lumberjack Song and some version of 'Hole in the Bucket' is always pleasant

Reply to
whit3rd

MUST haves? That's a tough one. Here are some of the best on my list right now, at any rate:

Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner, and something newer (Maybe Alice) John McLaughlin, Al DiMiola, Paco De Lucia - Friday Night in San Francisco The Beautiful South - Welcome To The Beautiful South Miles Davis - Kind of Blue Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners The Arcade Fire - Funeral Rush - Moving Pictures Supertramp - Crime of the Century Spirit of the West - Save This House Nick Cave - Abatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus Mozart - Requiem Mass in Dmin Beethoven - Missa Solemnis Ingrid Karklins - A Darker Passion Daniel Lanois - Shine

As an aside, ripping 700+ CDs to flac, fixing the tags, and then ripping to MP3, is a painful project! Tapes and vinyl are underway now, but because the music plays in realtime, seems less onerous.

Colin

Reply to
Colin B.

So you need a Shure Hyper Elliptical Type 3 for that bad boy? Got one in a 1/2 inch mount sitting around with about 30 hours on it.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

After I posted this, I remember a book I read, one of the Prey series.

Anyway, throughout the story, the main character (Lucas Davenport) was trying to distill his mp3 down to the top 100 rock songs. Here's his list:

In no particular order, except that, as any intelligent person knows, any decent road trip will start with ZZ Top.

  1. ZZ Top, "Sharp-Dressed Man"
  2. ZZ Top, "Legs"
  3. Wilson Pickett, "Mustang Sally"
  4. Crash Test Dummies, "Superman's Song"
  5. David Essex, "Rock On"
  6. Golden Earring, "Radar Love"
  7. Blondie, "Heart of Glass"
  8. Jefferson Airplane, "White Rabbit"
  9. Jefferson Airplane, "Somebody to Love"
  10. Derek and the Dominoes, "Layla"
  11. Doors, "Roadhouse Blues"
  12. Animals, "House of the Rising Sun"
  13. Aerosmith, "Sweet Emotion"
  14. Aerosmith, "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)"
  15. Bruce Springsteen, "Dancing in the Dark"
  16. Bruce Springsteen, "Born to Run"
  17. Bruce Springsteen, "Thunder Road"
  18. Police, "Every Breath You Take"
  19. Tom Waits, "Heart of Saturday Night"
  20. Van Halen, "Hot for Teacher"
  21. Who, "Won't Get Fooled Again"
  22. Gipsy Kings, "Hotel California"
  23. Tracy Chapman, "Give Me One Reason"
  24. Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Down on the Corner"
  25. Eagles, "Lyin' Eyes"
  26. Eagles, "Life in the Fast Lane"
  27. Dire Straits, "Skateaway"
  28. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, "Mary Jane's Last Dance"
  29. Janis Joplin, "Me 'n Bobby McGee"
  30. The Doobie Brothers, "Black Water"
  31. Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, "I Love Rock 'n Roll"
  32. John Mellencamp, "Jack and Diane"
  33. Pink Floyd, "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)"
  34. Pink Floyd, "Money"
  35. Billy Joel, "Piano Man"
  36. Eric Clapton, "After Midnight"
  37. Eric Clapton, "Lay Down Sally"
  38. AC/DC, "You Shook Me All Night Long"
  39. AC/DC, "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"
  40. The Hollies, "Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress)"
  41. Bob Dylan, "Like a Rolling Stone"
  42. Bob Dylan, "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
  43. Bob Dylan, "Subterranean Homesick Blues"
  44. The Rolling Stones, "Satisfaction"
  45. The Rolling Stones, "Brown Sugar"
  46. The Rolling Stones, "Sympathy for the Devil"
  47. Sex Pistols, "Anarchy in the UK"
  48. Grateful Dead, "Sugar Magnolia"
  49. The Pointer Sisters, "Slow Hand"
  50. Eurythmics, "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)"
  51. Elvis Presley, "Jailhouse Rock"
  52. David Bowie, "Ziggy Stardust"
  53. Bob Seger, "Night Moves"
  54. The Everly Brothers, "Bye Bye Love"
  55. Jimi Hendrix, "Purple Haze"
  56. The Kinks, "Lola"
  57. Jackson Browne, "Tender is the Night"
  58. The Kingsmen, "Louie Louie"
  59. George Thorogood and the Destroyers, "Bad to the Bone"
  60. Metallica, "Turn the Page"
  61. Lynryd Skynyrd, "Sweet Home Alabama"
  62. Queen, "We Will Rock You"
  63. The Allman Brothers Band, "Ramblin' Man"
  64. Led Zeppelin, "Rock 'n Roll"
  65. Tina Turner, "What's Love Got to Do With It"
  66. Steppenwolf, "Born to Be Wild"
  67. U2, "With or Without You"
  68. Black Sabbath, "Paranoid"
  69. Foreigner, "Blue Morning, Blue Day"
  70. Billy Idol, "White Wedding"
  71. Guns 'n Roses, "Sweet Child o' Mine"
  72. Guns 'n Roses, "Paradise City"
  73. Guns 'n Roses, " Knockin' on Heaven's Door"*
  74. Lou Reed, "Walk on the Wild Side"
  75. Bad Company, "Feel Like Makin' Love"
  76. Def Leppard, "Rock of Ages"
  77. Van Morrison, "Brown Eyed Girl"
  78. Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, "Devil With a Blue Dress On"
  79. Aretha Franklin, "Respect"
  80. John Lee Hooker and Bonnie Raitt, "I'm in the Mood"
  81. James Brown, "I Got You (I Feel Good)"
  82. The Righteous Brothers, "Unchained Melody"
  83. Prince, "Little Red Corvette"
  84. Chuck Berry, "Roll Over Beethoven"
  85. The Byrds, "Mr. Tambourine Man"
  86. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, "Ohio"
  87. Buddy Holly, "Peggy Sue"
  88. Jerry Lee Lewis, "Great Balls of Fire"
  89. Roy Orbison, "Oh, Pretty Woman"
  90. Del Shannon, "Runaway"
  91. Run-DMC, "Walk This Way"
  92. Otis Redding, " (Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay"
  93. Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
  94. Paul Simon, "Still Crazy After All These Years"
  95. Bo Diddley, "Who Do You Love? "
  96. Brewer and Shipley, "One Toke Over the Line"
  97. Ramones, "I Wanna Be Sedated"
  98. The Clash, "Should I Stay or Should I Go"
  99. Talking Heads, "Burning Down the House"
100. Dmitri Shostakovich, "Jazz Suite No. 2: Waltz 2"
Reply to
joe

I don't know a couple of the above, but will add:

Mary Gauthier - Drag Queens in Limousines Lyl Lovett - Live in Texas The Arrogant Worms - Live Bait Ten Years After - Essential Spamalot - Original Cast Recording Sonny Stitt - Stitt Plays Bird Mojo Nixon - Bo-Day-Shus!!! Mike Morgan & the Crawl - I Like The Way You Work It Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

How much? (Reply to my email addy here... it works.)

Reply to
Robatoy

Not a miss on this list. 'cept I don't know > Ingrid Karklins - A Darker Passion, but I'm sure to go dig it up.

Arcade Fire is one of my favourites for a long time now. Lanois rules!

Reply to
Robatoy

Say what? That sounds intriguing. (Can't be bad..nonono...no way.)

Reply to
Robatoy

Oh well, OK. Today it's been: Cal Tjader: Latin Kick Sacred Treasures, a collection of sacred Russian choral pieces (incl Rachmaninov, Bortniansky, Kedrov, and others) ZZ Top: Recycler Merle Haggard: 2 from a 4 CD set entitled "Down Every Road"

and on and on. Whatever mood you're in and whatever mood you want to be in. I like individual artists as opposed to a type such as classical or rock. That said, I don't care for many of the grand opera offerings and new stuff (not a rehash of something from 30 - 40 years ago) in rock is scarce. I head mainly for some older stuff like Ella Fitz, Fletcher Henderson, Boswell sisters, Chuck Berry, Beatles, old blues from anywhere, Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers (thought you'd love it), choral music, Bartok, Mozart, anybody named Hank (e.g. Williams I,II,or III, Snow, Thompson, etc), Buck is a good name, you get the picture. Used to get a great show on July 4th with the Boston Pops, fireworks, and 1812. Bahstuds moved it to network and presented some lesser known pop people. Sigh. I'll let you go now. mahalo and keep the faith, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

les, I just received an iPod shuffle for my annual birth

You have ANY idea how Disco all this is?

Reply to
Robatoy