Electric shock from an iPod!?

Odd one. Using an iPod in our travel speaker dock on holiday, powered by i ts own wallwart as usual (9v IIRC), via an extension cable. Working perfec tly, at the end of the evening I removed the ipod from the dock, and receiv ed a mild but distinct belt from the metal casing of the iPod as I did so.

Haven't used the extension cable again (wasn't mine, looked perfectly OK, d on't know if it was to blame) but both iPod and dock still work fine.

What gives!?

David

Reply to
Lobster

its own wallwart as usual (9v IIRC), via an extension cable. Working perf ectly, at the end of the evening I removed the ipod from the dock, and rece ived a mild but distinct belt from the metal casing of the iPod as I did so .

don't know if it was to blame) but both iPod and dock still work fine.

Were the conditions right for you to have picked up a static charge and the n discharged it to the iPod? I'd have thought most of these things were dou ble insulated rather than earthed but maybe that's an exception?

Reply to
docholliday93

by its own wallwart as usual (9v IIRC), via an extension cable. Working pe rfectly, at the end of the evening I removed the ipod from the dock, and re ceived a mild but distinct belt from the metal casing of the iPod as I did so.

K, don't know if it was to blame) but both iPod and dock still work fine.

hen discharged it to the iPod? I'd have thought most of these things were d ouble insulated rather than earthed but maybe that's an exception?

Last year I kept getting minor shock ffrom my iMac keybord, I know it was s tatic as I noticed I only got a shock if I dragged my feet and wore my safe ty shoes. It never had any adverse effect on the iMac (that I noticed) it's still working.

I get this in the lab I work in at times, why they put carpet in a computer room is another matter :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

It won't be the extension cable as the wallwart will 99% certainly be double insulated.

Could it have been a build up of static on yourself that discharged into a metal object (iPod)? Were you standing on a carpet?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Although static discharge is one possibility, it seems more likely to be a "Half mains voltage" shock due to the use of the delta capacitor circuitry in the mains EMC filter. Typically a 100nF across Live and Neutral with a couple of 50nF caps connecting the earth pin to the L & N connections.

On its own when the 'earth connection' isn't required for safety reasons due to the use of double insulation, this presents a very high impedance half mains voltage on the 'earthed' casing which can be felt by most as a mild tingling sensation.

There's no real need for the zero volt line on a wallwart's smpsu output to be earthed other than perhaps "RF Earthed", usually achieved with another 50nF cap connecting to the common 'earthing point' in the delta connected EMC filter caps.

The problem only becomes aggravated when two or more such double insulated gadgets are linked together via a common earth connection such as USB ground/0v or ground return on unbalanced audio interconnects (typically Line In /Line Out via phono sockets or 3.5mm stereo jacks) _and_ all such gadgets eschew an actual mains earth connection (or the mains extension lead has an open circuit earth).

You still see only half mains voltage but the effective paralleling up of all those 50nF caps lowers the effective impedance to the 50Hz mains supply which increases the intensity of this otherwise mild shock current to an unpleasant or even hazardous level when the count of such interconnected devices goes beyond two or three.

Otoh, it could simply be a fault in a counterfeit Apple wallwart or charging pod (or WHY). :-(

Reply to
Johny B Good

There are loads of fake wall warts around. I opened one which looked real, only to find the creepage distance between the live input and the output was less than 1mm, along a length of 30mm of parallel tracks.

Wouldn't surprise me if the hidden transformer internal insulation was just as deficient too, if not worse.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Clearly a far bigger problem than the domain of Part P.

And yet nothing is done...

On an aside, I took apart a control module from a metal touch-lamp where you touch the lamp's casing to trigger on/off/dimming.

This worked as the map was Class II but the metal body had an "earth wire" that connected into the control module.

The final connection was by a low value solid capacitor and the capacitor had a 2mm wide slot cut between it's legs in the PCB to prevent tracking. I was actually impressed.

The module died however, so I wired the lamp up as a Class I appliance and stuck the plug straight on the business end of the flex. Figured it was better to do than than leave the metal case plus the earth connection floating.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Quite normal, I get a regular tickle from my metal chassis laptop (dell with genuine Dell PSU) when I'm wearing shorts or no shirt in the summer. It is a small leakage path to half mains voltage via the emc filter in the power supply.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The joys one one man band importers selling on ebay, along with the typically Chinese wholesalers strict adherence to product safety. Some quite good tear downs on youtube showing the internal construction you've noticed

Martin

Reply to
Martin Warby