2,4-D and reeds

Does 2,4-D (the active ingredient of selective weedkillers that kill weeds in lawns) kill reeds?

Only, I have nettles invading the reed-bed that processes the output of my sewage system and I'd rather like to kill them without killing the reeds.

Reply to
Huge

2,4-D is supposed to act selectively on dicot (broadleaved) plants. Reeds, like grasses, are monocots, so in theory they shouldn't be affected.

Ask on uk.rec.gardening for a professional opinion.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message , Huge writes

Good control is claimed for 2,4-D on soft rush at a 3.3L/ha rate.

Don't know if this relates to any impact on reeds. Technical advice may be available from the supplier or you can quiz an agronomist.

You could test a small patch.

Try phoning L.W.Vass on 01525 403041 and ask for technical advice. They are at Maulden!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Assuming your reed-bed has an outlet into a watercourse you need to be very, very, careful what weed-killers you put on to it. Seek professional advice.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Thanks, but it doesn't. It's a dead end ditch.

Reply to
Huge

You might check with the EA but AFAIK that is a watercourse. In any case

2,4 D is not a suitable herbicide to use in the situation you are contemplating doing because of its toxicity to wildlife.
Reply to
Peter Crosland

So what is?

Reply to
Huge

Can you not just get in there with wellies or waders and pull the nettles? They will probably return next year but they are going to do that anyway as seed is distributed. Are the nettles doing any harm? Anyway, they don't sting this month. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

It's a sewage outfall. :o(

Reply to
Huge

So swallow something toxic ...

Reply to
Bob Martin

So why do the nettles have to be a problem?

Richard

Presumably because a reed bed is there to do a job and he doesn't want the reeds being displaced by the nettles.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 2014-07-12, Nightjar

Reply to